18.8.09

Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr

Summary:

Samara Taylor used to believe in miracles. She used to believe in a lot of things. As a pastor's kid, it's hard not to buy in to the idea of the perfect family, a loving God, and amazing grace. But lately, Sam has a lot of reason to doubt. Her mother lands in rehab after a DUI and her father seems more interested in his congregation than his family. When a young girl in her small town is kidnapped, the local tragedy overlaps with Sam's personal one, and the already-worn thread of faith holding her together begins to unravel.

In her third novel, acclaimed author Sara Zarr examines the coexistence of affliction and hope, and what happens when everything you thought you believed---about God, about your family, about yourself---is transformed.


Review:

Sara Zarr's novels are always filled with greatness. Story of A Girl was an amazing and fascinating read while Sweethearts was a heartbreaking story that made me cry. So, when I found out she had a new novel coming out soon, I was supper excited. Luckily, Once Was Lost may seriously be Sara's best attempt yet!

Once Was Lost is novel that deals with loosing hope because of different tragedies that are occurring around you while still trying to restore that hope. One thing, I enjoyed about this novel was the way Sara Zarr approached religion. Since, it was well done and wasn't overbearing which I admired about this book. Also, I loved the whole mystery aspect of this novel which is brought out from the kidnapping. It was interesting to see the twists and turns that come from this and the final revelation of who did it.

Sadly, at times, Once Was Lost moved in a way that was a bit slow, especially at the beginning. Though, the characters tended to over shadow this bad point, because I really enjoyed reading about them all, especially Sam. She is a character that is easy to relate to and like.

Overall, Once Was Lost is a beautiful tale about forgiving and starting to believe again, I look forward to reading more books by Zarr!

Grade: A

Once Was Lost
will be released October 1, 2009.

* Much thanks goes to AM at Little Brown for sending me a copy of this amazing book! :)

5 comments:

  1. Looks amazing Lauren! I've heard a lot about this book...it seems to me that it's worth pre-ordering! Great review!

    Reggie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading this. & it has a really pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover, and the book sounds amazing. If you could answer a question i have on my blog, that would be great :) x.
    sorrowfulgoodbyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is one I've been wanting to read. Great review.

    ~Briana :D

    Oh, and thanks for entering my contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to read the book then again I was afraid the idea of religion would bore me. It's great to know it's not overbearing. I can deal with the slow parts too.

    Nice review, Lauren.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com