Friday, April 24, 2009

Inspired Friday with Darlene Ryan

Darlene Ryan is the author of many fiction/ non fiction books for young adults, including her newest release, Five Minutes More.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Five Minutes More is the book that wouldn’t go away. I could never get the story written the way that I wanted it to read, so I’d work on the manuscript, get stuck, get discouraged, and put it away. But I couldn’t get the idea out of my head. Finally I decided I would finish the book—no matter how awful it was. Well, the finished story wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t very good, either.

I knew something was wrong with the plotting, but I had been working on that book on and off for years and I’d lost my perspective. At first I thought of doing something melodramatic with the manuscript, like putting it through the shredder or having a bonfire in the driveway.

Well, the shredder sounds like a senior citizen with asthma if I try to feed more than two pages at a time through it, and the city frowns on bonfires in the driveway so close to the well water field. So, I asked my friend Susan, who is also a writer and an excellent editor, to read the whole thing.

She liked some parts, she found some dumb mistakes I’d made, and she said, “Could you _______.” I can’t tell you what goes in the blank because it’s a major story point.

It was an “aha” moment. I realized Susan was right. I rewrote like a maniac. When I was finished, Five Minutes More was finally the story I’d been trying to write for years. I hope everyone enjoys reading it.

Thank you Lauren for inviting me to be part of Inspired Fridays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much, Darlene! :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me Lauren. Could I get some extra credit work to bring my grade up from a C+ to a B-?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho Darlene! Nice to meet you. I think it's great that you didn't give up on the story, and now we can read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Darlene for sharing your writing process! It sure was insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for blogging! Now I have to read the book so I can find out what went in the blank. Seriously. I need to know now. :) Awesome post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love the "aha" moments? It's what a writer lives for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds really fun. It's so good to have someone like Susan to help you step back! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...