12.9.09

The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson

Summary:

Destiny Faraday makes a point of keeping her distance from her classmates at Hedgebrook Academy. Her number-one rule: Don’t get attached. But one day, unexpectedly finding a car at their disposal, Destiny and three of her classmates embark on an unauthorized road trip.

They’re searching for one fair day—a day where the good guy wins and everything adds up to something just and right. Their destination: Langdon, a town that Destiny’s unsuspecting companions hope will hold simply a day of fun. But, as Destiny says, “Things are not always what they seem.” Only she knows that Langdon holds far more than that—a deep secret she has never shared with anyone.

The Miles Between explores the wonder andmagic of a very real world where chance, mystery, and secrets abound.

Review:

After reading The Adoration Of Jenna Fox last year, I just knew Mary E. Pearson was an author who had a true and never ending talent for writing books and The Miles Between proves this even further. Well, to me at least.

From the start you are captured by the tale of Destiny Faraday who was supposedly abandoned by her parents and younger brother at the age of seven leaving her to spend the rest of her childhood and teen years in boarding schools making do the best she can given the criticisms. Destiny was a character that was easy to like and one that you constantly felt sad for because of all the awful things she had been dealt in her sixteen years of life. I was always hoping that she would finally realize that she should give people a chance, so that she could see that not all people out there are bad. The other characters such as Seth, Aidan, and Mira were all well developed, too, which left me to enjoy reading about them.

The one thing that really hooked me to this novel, though, was the emotion that Ms. Pearson brought to you in her writing and characters. I was actually close to tears in a couple of times during the ending scenes and believe me when I say this, I'm almost never close to tears, even reading a extremely sad book.

Plus, the plot was extremely well done. I loved the idea of having "one prefect day, where the good guy actually wins for a change" because it brought an interesting story line that dealt out twists and turns that I sometimes never saw coming.

Overall, The Miles Between is book that's heartbreaking and heartwarming all in one making it one of my favorite releases of the year and defiantly a book that you should pick up ASAP.

Grade: A+

The Miles Between is now out! Also, be sure to check out Mary's site!

* Much thanks goes to SH at Henry and Holt Young Readers Division for sending me a copy of this!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this cover around but didn't really know what it was about. It sounds like a really good book! Have to add to my wishlist. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mary E Pearson. I so have to read this book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com