8.9.09

Quick Q and A's with Jess C Scott

Jess Scott is the author of EyeLeash a novel told compeltly in blog entries and instant messages. You can find out more about her and her novel here.

~~~

1) Your debut novel, EyeLeash, has recently been released. Can you tell us what it’s about?

It's a contemporary, innovative novel, comprised entirely of blog posts, IM chats, and text messages. The two lead characters are Jade Ashton, a sassy virgin, and her former geek-friend, Novan (who’s morphed into a delicious songwriter-musician). EyeLeash captures self-discovery in the 2000s, and showcases the intricate drama in two youths’ relentless search for themselves — and what’s really in their hearts!

2) What was your road to publication like for it?

The furthest I got was a six-month-long discussion with an editor (a former YA acquisitions editor). A statistical breakdown can be found on the EL blog @ http://eyeleash.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/blog-novel/ .

3) EyeLeash is told completely in blog entries and instant messages. What inspired you to write it this way? Also, do you think we’ll be more of these type of novels, as time goes on?

I thought it'd be cool to write a coming-of-age book, that was directly reflective of The Internet Generation. I was very savvy (and still am, if I may say so) with digital mediums throughout my teenage years. And no, constant instant and text messaging didn't "bring my grades down" at school -- I topped the class several times in a row as a junior high student. To me, digital communication is a language on its own ;)

4) If you could meet your main character, Jade Ashton, in real life. Would you have any advice for her? What would you talk to her about?

I'd spend some time chatting with her about whatever was on her mind -- I'd give advice, but only if she asked for it. I think I'd work at "soothing her mental nerves", because she can be quite prone to over-thinking...

The following sentence from one of her blog posts showcases this trait of hers:

"Then I’ll think about what is it I really want, and how I can't treat a person like that but whether he'd mind at all, and then it's not what I want but what's best for all involved. And Life Just Sucks.”

5) EyeLeash is an interesting title choice. So, I have to ask, how did you come up with that as the title?

Honestly, I was playing around with the letters of a friend's name. At the same time, I was developing the concept for this whole digital-era-coming-of-age-story -- so voilĂ ! That's how it all came together. Initially, at least.

6) If you could pick one thing for readers to take from reading EyeLeash, what would it be? Why?

To be unafraid to soul-search/find your own answers to things that mean something to you in your life (it's a theme that runs through the book). Maybe it's because I've always been a non-conformist -- but I believe a strong self-identity gives security to a person. It's something real and unique that cannot be taken away.

7) Are you currently working on any other future novels? If so, can you share some info about it?

Yes, I intend to get to the remaining 3/4s of my third book in about three weeks' time. It's a YA series, which is a little more sane and conventional than my first two books. I like to try something new and different with each new project.

8) Is there anything else you would like to add?

Check out Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk. And Passion by the K-pop artiste, Se7en.

P.S. They're part of the inspiration(s) for my next book...

~~~

Thanks, Jess!

1 comment:

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com