1) Your debut novel, Nothing Like You, is being released October 20th. Can you tell us what it’s about?
Nothing Like You is about a girl Named Holly Hirsh. Holly’s mom dies and Holly gets involved with the wrong guy. He’s got a girlfriend. She and Holly develop a friendship. Disaster ensues!
2) Are you and the main character, Holly, alike in any ways? If so, in what ways?
Holly has a raging fear of death. I relate. :)
3) The one thing that really catches my eye with Nothing Like You is the title. How did you come up with it? Also, was it always named this?
My clever editor, Anica Rissi, titled the book. The original title was “Holly Holy,” a Neil Diamond song title I stole. But Simon Pulse wanted to go in a different direction, & Anica suggested Nothing Like You. It’s a line from the book.
4) If you could meet any character from Nothing Like You for lunch who would it be? What would you guys talk about?
Oh, good question! My first impulse is to say Holly, but I already know her so well. Nils, maybe? But it would be dinner, not lunch, and instead of eating or talking, we’d listen to old records.
5) What type of setting do you usually write in? For example, some authors like writing in complete silence while others enjoy writing in a more public setting.
It’s really hard for me to write anywhere but home. I need quiet and minimal distraction. Even the library is too stimulating. If I want to get work done, I have to be on my bed, with my laptop, cat nearby. 6) If you could have any job in the world, besides being an author of course, what would it be? Why?
Paranormal investigator?? Although I’m probably too much of a wuss to seriously commit to that job. Oh but, I do LOVE ghosts!
7) You are part of the Class of 2k9. So, I just have to ask, what has your experience been like?
Really terrific. The best part of being involved in an online collective is the relationships that develop. Many of us have been able to meet at conferences over the past year. And it’s pretty incredible to be able to go through your debut year with 21 other authors who are in the exact same boat.
8) Are you currently working on anything else? If so can you tell us about it?
I am! I’m working on a second book for Simon Pulse. A book about broken friendship and thwarted love!
9) Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thank you, Lauren, for being a stellar host!