23.4.10

The Karma Club by Jessica Brody

Summary/ cover image from publisher's website:
Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma works. Do good things and you'll be rewarded, do something bad and Karma will make sure you get what you deserve. But when Maddy’s boyfriend cheats on her, nothing bad comes his way. That’s why Maddy starts the Karma Club, to clean up the messes that the universe has left behind. Sometimes, though, it isn’t wise to meddle with the universe. It turns out Karma often has plans of its own.
Review:

If you've been reading my blog for a while you'll know that I'm a huge fan of Jessica Brody's books, so when I heard she would be making the switch to YA for her next novel I was beyond ecstatic, and when I received a copy of said book, I was even more so. Though, I have to admit that I did have a tiny nagging voice in my head that kept saying what if it isn't as great and well done as her adult novels.

And at first that nagging voice proved to be true, I wasn't exceedingly impressed with The Karma Club, but as plot points and characters became more developed and drama, along with inspiring messages, came pouring in, my worries were thrown to the waste basket as I rushed through this novel eager to find out what was going to happen next.

The plot of this was fun and something that fans of Suzanne Young's The Naughty List series and Elizabeth Eulberg's The Lonely Hearts Club are going to eat right up. I loved seeing the girls get revenge on people who did them wrong since not only did it prove humor but life lessons, I guess you would say, about Karma and how revenge isn't always the best choice.

And I think it goes without saying that I adored the characters in The Karma Club. Since all three girls- Angie, Maddy, and Jade- were smart, witty, and honest. My favorite out of the three would probably have to be Maddy, the protagonist. Since I loved seeing her relationship with a certain swoon-worthy boy develop, as well as getting closer look into her quandary about what was right and wrong when it came to Karma and life. Also she was a great friend even if she did lie at times to protect people.

Though, I did have one tiny problem with The Karma Club. What was that problem? Well I felt that some aspects that occurred in this occasionally fell too nicely into place, allowing the girls to quickly get by the trouble they faced. But this wasn't the biggest of problems, so I'm not going to let it get me down about The Karma Club.

In all, The Karma Club is everything a debut should be- witty, original, and inspirational along with well written! I can't even began to say just how much I'm looking forward to reading Jessica's next novel!

Grade: A+


The Karma Club will be released April 27, 2010!

Souce: Publisher for review. Thanks Farrar Straus Giroux!

And have you seen the book trailer for this one yet? It's definitely one of my favorites of the year.

10 comments:

  1. Oh you are so lucky! This book sounds really good and I wanted to read it when I first heard about it. Great review and if it's possible, I think I want to read this book even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one! I'm glad to hear you liked it. And I love the book trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG my comment was almost identical to Jami's haha. So yeah, what she said. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I'm signed up to get this book and I've been really curious about it. I've never read this author before, but I should check into her adult books. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great review, Lauren!!!

    To celebrate the release of The Karma Club, I'm giving away FOUR Flip Video Cameras on my site (as well as TONS of other cool "Karmic" prizes.) Check it out at: www.JessicaBrody.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for the awesome review. The trailer really is amazing. Ever since I watched it, I've been dying to read it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review! It's good to hear that this book is well-written as well as entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ... a legitimately good book trailer! I was iffy about this one, but I think I'll pick it up based on the trailer alone (and your great review, of course!). Thanks for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on my wish list, and the trailer is great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I finished reading the Karma club a few days ago, and I just did my own post in my blog mayasmusings.weebly.com please comment :)
    GREAT REVIEW

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com