8.11.11

Review: Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:

She comes from the oceans; 

he comes from the skies. 
They'll find love somewhere in between


For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.

Review:

As soon as I first heard about Between the Sea and Sky, I knew I had to read it. Because not only did it contain two of my favorite topics in YA- mermaids and mythology- but it also was a book by Jaclyn Dolamore, an author who managed to enchant me with her first release, Magic Under GlassLuckily, Between the Sea and Sky was everything I hoped it would be and even more!

Between the Sea and Sky had many good things going for it, and one of them, without a doubt, was the world building. I always love reading about mermaids, and when they’re underwater world is beautifully described and easy to picture, it makes it all the better. But the lovely descriptions and world building didn’t end there. Instead, Jaclyn also managed to bring to life the human world as well as the winged people’s world. I especially loved seeing more about the winged people, because I don’t think I’ve ever read a book with creatures exactly like them.

Going along with the world building was the plot. As briefly mentioned before, I always found it interesting to read about the customs and such the mermaids as well as the winged people had. Plus, the main plot line in this book- Esmerine searching for her sister with the aid of Alandare- was well delivered as well as action packed. What I enjoyed most about it, however, were the things that came from it, such as former friendship between Esmerine and Alandare rekindling and Esmerine’s own feelings about the human world as well as her own reforming because of it. It made for an interesting book to say the least.

In addition, the characters…would it be hard to believe to say that I loved nearly every one of them? Because I did. Esmerine was easy to root for and love from the beginning, because her search for her sister showed what a kind person she was and it would be hard not to like someone who saw the world in the  innocent way Esmerine did. Moreover, Esmerine loved books. So how hypercritical would it be if I didn’t enjoy reading about her? ;) Another favorite of mine was Alandare. He was somewhat standoff-ish at first, but it was easy to see how much of a softie he was deep down, especially when it came to Esmerine. I also enjoyed the addition of Alandare’s friends at the bookshop and Esmerine’s as well as Alandare’s families.

Last but not least, I really enjoyed the writing in this one as well. Jaclyn wrote Between the Sea and Sky in such a simple yet breathtaking way. Plus her descriptions were some of my absolute favorite parts of the book!

Enchanting as well as romantic, Between the Sea and Sky is one book I can’t suggest highly enough, especially to those of you who love fairy tale like books. However, word of warning: this book will probably add a new favorite author to your list: Jaclyn Dolamore. 

Grade: A

Between the Sea and Sky (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads) is now out! 

Source: Publisher via Netgalley

2 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of mermaids, but I must admit this one interests me. I have yet to read Magic Under Glass, which I have a copy of, so I think I will try that one first. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review- I also adored this book! I can't wait to see what Jaclyn writes next!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com