29.12.11

Review: In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
Two years ago I did a terrible thing. I accused my best friend of being a killer after seeing him kneeling over a girl's body. That moment and that outcast boy still haunt me.

Now my mom is forcing me back to Oklahoma and I can't get White Bird out of my mind. But when I find out he's not in juvie—that he's in a mental hospital, locked in his tormented brain at the worst moment of his life—I can't turn my back on him again.

No one wants me to see him. My mom doesn't trust me. The town sheriff still thinks I was involved in the murder. And the other kids who knew the dead girl are after me.

I'm as trapped as White Bird. And when I touch him, I get sucked into his living hell, a vision quest of horrifying demons and illusions of that night. Everything about him scares me now, but I have to do something.

This time I can't be a coward. This time I have to be his friend. Even if I get lost, as well…
Review:

I've been reading In the Arms of Stone Angels on and off since January of this year. It had an interesting premise, but the story as well as the main character's voice never managed to grab me. However, I recently decided to dive in and finally read it from start to finish, and while it still didn't really capture my interest, I'm glad I gave it a chance, because it was a good story, one full of plenty of interesting twists and turns, even though it wasn't the perfect story for me due to a few reasons.

In the Arms of Stone Angels tells the story Breanna Nash, a girl's who lived through utter torture since she turned in her best as well as only friend, White Bird, to the authorities two years ago after witnessing a horrible and gut wrenching sight. However, unlike White Bird, she as well as her mother fled after this, never to return...until now.

First, I never really liked Breanna's character all that much, and that's where the story officially began to go sour for me. There was something so rough about her character, and while I could understand why she was that way, I could never really understand why she didn't try to get help sooner. However, I will admit that I did respect her for being there for White Bird as well as the journey she went on to get him help once and for all. It allowed her character to grow, and while I still didn't like her all that much by the end, I did like her a bit more than before. The other characters in this one, such as Joe and White Bird, were also interesting people, ones I would've loved to seen more about, but that never really managed to occur. However, I did like how Jordan Dane showed the story from not only Breanna's eyes but from other passing characters as well. It was an interesting twist, one that I really enjoyed seeing!

The plot in In The Arms of Stone Angels is what managed to somewhat save the book in my eyes, because even though it took a while to get off the ground, I was still fully impressed by the level of detail as well as development, Jordan Dane put into the book. From the aspects that included Native American traditions to White Bird's trapped memories to the part that involved Heather's death, everything always managed to be fully developed as well as intricate, especially towards the end where everything went haywire in the best kind of way.

Lastly, I felt that Jordan's writing was decent in this one. She did a great of developing the plot and characters, and while I had problems with Breanna, I'll still admit Jordan really managed to capture the thoughts as well as feelings Breanna held inside.

In all, while In the Arms of Stone Angels wasn't my cup of tea, I still suggest it to fans of supernatural YA who enjoy an interesting plot.

Grade: C+

In the Arms of Stone Angels (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Publisher via Netgalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com