6.5.18

Stacking the Shelves/Sunday Post: Reading Slumps, Busy Schedules, & Good Books





Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and focuses on new books that were received/bought/borrowed this week while the Sunday Post is hosted by the Caffeinated Book Reviewer and focuses on recapping your week. 

New Books: 

For Review: 

Sadie by Courtney Summers 
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang 
Tell Me No Lies by Adele Griffin 
Not Her Daughter by Rea Frey
Love Beyond Opposites (Grad Night #3) by Molly E. Lee 
Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris
Lies by T.M. Logan
Your Rhythm (Sherbrooke Station, #1) by Katia Rose
Kingdom of Ash and Soot (The Order of the Crystal Daggers, #1) by C.S. Johnson
The Waters & The Wild by DeSales Harrison

Much thanks goes to St. Martin's Press, Entangled Teen, Bookish First, First to Read, Random House, Katia, and Prodigy Gold Books! 

Books Read this Week (a.k.a the reading slump is FINALLY over!):


Lies You Never Told Me by Jennifer Donaldson: Perfect for fans of Pretty Little Liars and The Truth Beneath the Lies! It was suspenseful, intense, and even a tad creepy - I was so glad I read it during the day. While I did figure out the big twist halfway through, I was still fully shook when the big reveal finally occurred.  

The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir: This book felt like a TLC show (if you read the synopsis you'll figure out which one I'm talking about), and I ate up every single word. The Book of Essie relies heavily on the dramatics; however, it also hits upon many important topics - teen pregnancy, religion, sexual assault. I thought Meghan did a great job of bringing these topics to light; however, I wish there had been more development. At times, I felt that only the surface of each issue was touched upon - there was a lot more that could have been said. 

The History of Jane Doe by Michael Belanger: I didn't outright cry, but this book still shattered my heart into a million pieces. Books like The History of Jane Doe is the reason why I always make it a point to read debut novels - there's so much potential and promise to be found within them. 

Life Update: 

I feel like I've barely been around lately, and there's several reasons behind that....

NUMBER ONE: April was INSANE! There were so many times I started putting together a Sunday Post, but ended up being sidetracked by something else. Mostly, I've been busy with school, work, and other topic secret things (*fingers crossed* I'll have good news to share soon, there's lots going on in my personal life right now). I also fit some fun things into my weekends. Last weekend I went to a bar crawl with several of my friends from undergraduate, and it was a ton of fun! I stayed up way too late - 2 AM - and spent way too much money, but I wouldn't have given it up for the world! It was nice catching up with everyone. The weekend before that I went to a designer purse bingo (I love, love, love purses, besides books of course it's the one thing I let myself indulge in), and I won a super cute black and white Kate Spade purse (worth $200!!). I can't wait to use it - it's going to be perfect for summer!   

NUMBER TWO: Now for the part that affected blogging the most...I feel into a reading slump. There were several reasons behind this. For one, I was reading a book I wanted to love...BUT I just couldn't get through it...BUT of course I kept trying to push myself through it. It ended up being a huge mistake, because when I finally decided to put that book aside, I ended up starting another 2 books only to later DNF them as well...it was rough, and given how busy I was, I wasn't that ambitious when it came to reading...

However, everything is starting to calm down, and as you can see I've read three really great books in the last week, and I'm currently reading another great one - THE KISS QUOTIENT! So I think (I HOPE!) that my reading slump is over...

That's it for me! Let me know how you all have been! Read anything amazing yet? Let me know in the comments! :) 

Have a great week everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. Yay, glad you're back! Sounds like you were having a lot of fun (besides the reading slump!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading slumps are the worst. Glad you seem to be out of it.

    Sounds like April was a fun month!

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com