19.2.10

The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy

Summary from Goodreads:

When the Prom Queen becomes your fairy godmother…

Sixteen year old outsider, Jess Parker, gets the chance of a lifetime: an invitation to join a secret society of popular girls dedicated to defeating the mean girls of the world. The Cinderella Society guides all new recruits through its top secret ultimate life makeover. It’s all part of preparing them to face down the Wickeds and win. Determined not to let the Cindys down, Jess dives in with a passion. Finally, a chance to belong and show the world what she’s made of.

… be careful what you wish for.

Jess’s transformation wins her the heart of her dream crush and a shot at uber-popularity. Until the Wickeds–led by Jess’s arch enemy–begin targeting innocent girls in their war against the Cindys, and Jess discovers the real force behind her exclusive society. It’s a high stakes battle of good vs. evil, and the Cindys in power need Jess on special assignment. When the mission threatens to destroy her dream life come true, Jess is forced to choose between living a fairy tale and honoring the Sisterhood… and herself.

What’s a girl to do when the glass slipper fits, but she doesn’t want to wear it anymore?
 
Review:
 
The Cinderella Society was certainly something fresh, exciting, and fab, but, sadly enough, I wasn't always as completely enthralled in it as much as I thought and hoped I would be.

Jess is a girl that I'm positive many girls will come to adore, root for, and relate to as I did. Since she was a funny, fearless, and stand-up-for-what-you-believe-in type of teen (even with the slight insecurity issues she had at times) which are three adjectives that I definitely hope for when summing up a main character. I loved the fact that she stood up for the Reggies (Regular people) even when the Cindys weren't always approving of it. Plus, I liked the different types of characters Kay introduced through The Cinderella Society because each had their own distinctive and unique personality leaving them to be easy to tell apart from the others.

Because of the fact that I adored the main characters, you probably would take that I had no type of problems with this book, but I did. Two to be exact. One was the fact that the execution of this amazing idea was mostly down in a slow pace allowing me to have no trouble putting this book down for long intervals of time. Though, with saying that, I did LOVE the idea of the Cindys (You seriously don't know how much I would love to be part of their society.), the Wickedes, the Reggies, and the situations that went along with them; and on a hopeful note, by the end, I could see much promise and excitement in what's to come in the sequel dropping 2011. The other tiny problem was with Jess's love interest who at times seemed like the typical boyfriend cliché in teen books these days; since he was the typical drool-worthy popular boy who hides his sensitive side with a mean guy guise because of past family troubles. I seriously didn't see what the huge appeal in him was for most of the book, but by the end, I was staring to like him, just a bit, but that's still an improvement, right? :)
 
My favorite and most important part of The Cinderella Society had nothing to do with the characters or the plot specifically, but the message it broght through it. A message that I find extremely important in today's celebrity infused world. What's that message, you may ask? Well, it's that no matter who you are or where you come from, YOU can make a difference in the world even if it is small, and be the best and brightest star out there when you have a little faith in yourself.

In all, The Cinderella Society is definitely an important book for teen girls that I will be high suggesting come March even with the slight problems I had. And here’s to hoping that the sequel will prove to AH-mazing!
 
Grade: B
 
The Cinderella Society comes out April 13, 2010!
 
Source: Kay's personal ARC Tour for the book. Thanks, Kay! :)

5 comments:

  1. The premise sounds really interesting but it is a shame that the pace detracted from your enjoyment of it. I'd read a couple of books lately that had the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont like it when a book is too slow..! Though the sound of the book is very nice and I like a good chicklit. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book with an even greater message. I'm gonna read this one for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love reading your reviews of how you break things down. I just got in this yesterday and it sounds like a good read I'll be booting up in my pile soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read this so much! It looks like something I'd enjoy-I'm sucker for fun fairy tale type things.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com