13.8.10

Freak Magnet by Andrew Auseon

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:

A novel about freaks, geeks, crushes, and friends—and how sometimes you can be all of them at once.
Charlie is the freak. Gloria is the freak magnet. They're pretty much destined to meet. And when they do, sparks fly . . . for Charlie. Gloria, well, she just thinks he's like every other freak who feels compelled to talk to her, although a little better-looking than most.

While Charlie has his head in the clouds, Gloria's got hers in a book: her Freak Folio—a record of every weirdo who's talked to her in the last year (it's a big book). But never before has she felt the pull to get to know one of them better. Until now.

In this he-said-she-said tale of love, loss, and lucky signs from the author of the ac-claimed Funny Little Monkey, two young strangers at a crossroads in their lives become friends by happy accident (okay, maybe some harmless stalking is involved—and not by the person you'd think!) and forever change each other.
Review:

It's as simple as this: I ADORED Freak Magnet to the max. It was fun, witty, and real- three characteristics that when mixed together make for pure awesomeness.

Both of the characters in Freak Magnet were ones I loved. No lie about it. Charlie was extremely sweet and chivalrous; a character who always had me laughing at his way of telling it like it is no matter how bad the consequences would be. And Gloria, while distant and moody at times, was always witty and intelligent; someone I would hug and tell everything be all right to if I could. Together they made for an awesome match- one that always lead to not only more funny moments but tender ones as well as they dealt with life, death, and love all in one. I also loved the secondary characters. Some of my favorites would be Maggie, Gloria's sister whose sense of style was bizarre yet wickedly awesome, and Edison, a guy I admired for his brave actions given his condition.

Told in a he-said/she-said type of way, Freak Magnet allowed for the Magnet and the Freak to tell their tale of things, making this be one trait of the novel I absolutely loved, because it always allowed for different questions to be swirling around in my head, such as: Would Gloria and Charlie ever get a chance at romance? Would Gloria ever get over her personal issues and realize that there still are reasons to live in the world? And plenty more, which left for this plot to one that always had me on my toes.

In all, Andrew Auseon not only makes Freak Magnet look like a start in my eyes but him as well because he's one fantastic author. I can't wait to read more by him.

My final advice? I know I say this a lot, but read this book, especially if you love he-said/she-said type of stories.

Grade: A-

Freak Magnet is now out!

Source: HarperTeen. Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Freak Magnet sounds adorable! I only heard of it recently, but I'm super excited to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet book! Sounds like an immensely fun book to read. I need something light right now, so I should try and find Freak Magnet! Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant review, Lauren! Your review got me really excited for this one. I will added to my list this very instant. Sounds like so much fun. Thank you for your review, Lauren! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com