23.11.10

Interview with Lisa Klein, author of Cate of the Lost Colony

Please welcome Lisa Klein to the blog today! She's the other of several books for teens, including the newly released Cate of the Lost Colony. Here are some questions I asked her and her answers.

~~~

In your opinion, what are the top three reasons why teens, or even adults, should consider picking up Cate of the Lost Colony the next time they see it online or in store?

One, pick it up because of the cover. (You can judge this book by the cover!) Two, haven’t you always wondered what happened to the people of the “lost colony” of Roanoke? Three, it’s a romance with lots of conflict and danger.

Cate of the Lost Colony is told from the viewpoint of Cate, so would you mind sharing a little bit about her? Also, if you could offer her any type of advice, what would you say?

Cate begins by being insecure and inexperienced at the queen’s court, but she has a tendency to be outspoken. She gains confidence, especially after she arrives on Roanoke Island and leadership is sorely needed. Perhaps her most notable trait is curiosity, and this is both her downfall and her salvation. I don’t have any advice to offer her; she manages just fine on her own! I’d want to be more like her, if I ever found myself on a dangerous island.

What inspired you to have Cate of the Lost Colony’s setting be Roanoke Island?

Well, that’s where the colonists landed in 1587, because there was already a fort and a few buildings. Whatever happened there determined if there were any survivors. Even if they were never found, it’s a novelist’s job to speculate.

How did the title Cate of the Lost Colony come to be? Was it always the title or did it come later on in the process?
It came about late in the process, but it seemed so natural. I like alliteration!

What are three things about you that your readers would be surprised to find out about you?

1. I was in the National Spelling Bee when I was 12 and placed fifteenth.
2. I love to eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough.
3. I have two sons (ages 15 and 20) and five “daughters”: Ophelia, Lizzie, Rosanna, Albia, and Cate!

~~

Thanks, Lisa!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview, Lauren. "Cate of the lost colony" is one of the books I would love to read. I love history and think that it would be great fun to read Lisa Klein's speculations on what happened to the settlers on Roanoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love this cover and plot! I'll definitely be adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, opened my eyes to a genre that I might just pass by but this book sounds really interesting, I might just have to check it out.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You convinced me! I want to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay- awesome interview! I loved Cate of the Lost Colony as well :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com