3.10.11

Reading and Blogging Slumps aka why I Only Read One Book in September

Reading slumps and blogging slumps…You hear about them happening to bloggers all the time, but for me I never thought one would occur, let alone both. I mean, yes, I had been blogging for over three years and reading heavily for at least double that time, and while one would expect such a thing to occur, I never really encountered such a thing. Sure, at times I wasn’t reading or blogging as much as I would’ve liked to but I was still attempting to do a little of both every day. Basically, I thought I was immune to them. However, last month that way of thinking changed because I finally faced the dreaded reading and blogging slump…

I’ll admit right out (and my Goodreads profile can attest to this) I only finished one book last month. I know ONE book. How is that even possible for someone who enjoys reading so much? I know I personally couldn’t believe it and I still can’t really get my head around it. I tried to read other books (and even made it to the middle of some ) but I just wasn’t able to get into any book besides that one. And because of that reading slump, my blog also began to suffer in some ways. I didn’t have a lot of books to write reviews for and I just wasn’t able to update my Twitter feed nearly as much with bookish news. Instead, I found other things to occupy my time…watching TV, doing homework, hanging out with my friends…anything besides reading and blogging. Both just became nonessential to me in September, and the only way I can put a reason behind this is because I was burned out with both.

I’ve spent a lot a time blogging and reading in the last few years, and even though I hate to admit, I found this past month that I needed a much needed and deserved break. I needed time to adjust to my junior year of high school (which I’m loving by the way) as well as to just reevaluate my priorities in general and make a schedule accordingly. In some ways, it was nice to take a break from reading and blogging because it just wasn’t as much fun for me anymore. Towards the end of August it was beginning to feel like something I NEEDED to do rather than WANTED to do and that killed me because that’s never how I wanted this blog to turn out as. In other ways, though, I ended up really missing the joy in it all…the people, the books, and just having such a fantastic community to talk to… this rang especially true towards the end of the month.

Thankfully, I’m starting to find my way back to reading and blogging.  I’ve already finished one book so far this month (Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez which was such an INCREDIBLE book!) and I’m slowly working my way back into reading in general- I’m hoping to finish Damage by Anya Parish as well as Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst soon)! I have to admit straight out that it may take me a while to get back to where I was, but after much thought about whether or not I should continue with Lauren’s Crammed  Bookshelf I’ve decided that I will simply because reading and blogging are big parts in my life, ones that I wouldn’t be the same without, and even though I needed a brief break, they’re something I’m going to be sticking with for the long haul.

So, in all, this is why I haven’t been around as much as I wanted to in the last month…I’m sorry about it all but in the long run it was good for me and Lauren’s Crammed Bookshelf. I’m now able to restart with a fresh pair of eyes, hopefully ones that will make this blog even better in the near future.  

However, I’m leaving you with a few questions: Have you ever faced a reading or blogging slump? How did you overcome them? Let me know in the comments!

PS) The inbox will be tackled soon. So if you’ve sent me an email in the past month, I will be responding to it ASAP! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow Lauren, I'm glad it wasn't just me! I too had a reading slumP in September and only finished 2 books (neither of them YA). I've been blogging non-stop for almost 3 years and reading for a lot longer than that, and this was my first slump. Weird, eh?

    I'm glad to say that I read 4 books this weekend and am feeling much more excited about books. I even commented on some blogs this weekend - yay!

    Hope you're back to normal soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've faced both. Usually, I just give in. I don't force myself to read or blog.

    And sometimes, it means I need a change. In my blogging style or what type of books I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes just recently went through a reading slump and dont blame you one bit! It can be overweloming! After taking a REAALLLLLYYYY long break from books i feel more balanced and relaxed. Though im back to reading like crazy its something i want to do, and i enjoy doing. So hang in there! I really like ur blog but if you need or want a break take it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should never force yourself to read or blog - both things you should only do because you enjoy them. And you should definitely not hate to admit you needed a break! You're only human, Lauren, you are going to need a break every now and then. You've been doing this for 3 years, all while attending high school; that is really impressive and you should not feel bad about rewarding yourself with some downtime. I recommend chilling out for as long as you need to and reading what you feel like reading, when you feel like reading it. Don't let your pleasure become a chore, OK? Your followers will still be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lauren! :)

    No wonder I didn't see you much on twitter. But hey, no sweat. We all understand. I've been there myself. But whenever I get in a rut, I just tell myself that I'm doing these(reading & blogging, although, I don't do so much of the latter) because I enjoy them. No use forcing myself to do them when I just can't seem to do it.
    So yeah, just take your pace. Enjoy reading and blogging. Enjoy your junior year, too! And thanks for this insightful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for taking a break! I've definitely hit reading and blogging slumps...it's never fun, but I always come back raring to go and with lots of new ideas. It is the worst feeling though to not be able to finish a book when you know you love reading so much. It seems like you did everything right though by finding other relaxing ways to spend your time. Welcome back :) Even if it takes awhile (or never) to get back to where you were, we're happy to have you post your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have faced a slump because a lot of things were changing in my life. I questioned if it was bringing me more trouble or happiness but in the end I realized I loved it and kept going. I don't blog as often as I like but I try and I think true readers will stay with you. Feel free to take a break and when you want to blog we will be here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had my slump just before you did, in August. Both Borders I went to were closing and my sister and I were buying tons of books. I'd buy the first in a series and start reading it to see if I wanted to get the rest. I was really into reading and was reading the most at once I ever had (four, a lot for me). I work in emergency management and when Hurricane Irene hit, I worked almost two weeks straight and about half of those days were 12+ hours. I had no time or energy to read and even after things went back to normal, I couldn't get back into reading. I'm just doing it now by slowly finishing the books I'd started in August. So, don't worry about it, you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com