11.7.12

Mini Reviews: the First in the Summer Catch Up Addition

In order to do a review catch up, I've decided to share some mini thoughts about the books I've read in the last few months. Here's the first batch.

~~

Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore


Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
The heart-pounding sequel to the acclaimed romantic fantasy

For star-crossed lovers Nimira and Erris, there can be no happily ever after until Erris is freed from the clockwork form in which his soul is trapped. And so they go in search of the sorcerer Ordoria Valdana, hoping he will know how to grant Erris real life again. When they learn that Valdana has mysteriously vanished, it's not long before Nimira decides to take matters into her own hands-and begins to study the sorcerer's spell books in secret. Yet even as she begins to understand the power and limitations of sorcery, it becomes clear that freeing Erris will bring danger-if not out-and-out war-as factions within the faerie world are prepared to stop at nothing to prevent him from regaining the throne.
Review:

It seems like with every one of Jaclyn Dolamore's books her talent as an author grows tremendously, and that was just the cause with Magic Under Stone, Dolamore's third book and the sequel to Magic Under Glass. From the first page, I was thrown back into the mysterious, deadly, and thrilling world of Nimiara and Erris, who are still on the search to find a way to free Erris from the clockwork. However, the trail is filled with twists, turns, and surprises that no one could have expected. I loved nearly every single moment of this one. Nimiara and Erris grew as characters, and I felt like they're bond as a couple was stronger and more magical than ever. Plus I enjoyed the vast set of secondary characters introduced in this one. The ending provided was extremely satisfactory, and even though everything seems to be warped up for good this time, I'm still hoping for a third book. In all, if you loved or even just liked Magic Under Glass, be sure to give Magic Under Stone a chance! Trust me...it's even better.

Magic Under Stone (Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Netgalley

Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse #3) by Jackie Morse Kessler  

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
Fifteen-year-old Billy Ballard is the kid that everyone picks on. But things change drastically when Death tells Billy he must stand in as Pestilence, the White Rider of the Apocalypse. Now armed with a Bow that allows him to strike with disease from a distance, Billy lashes out at his tormentors...and accidentally causes an outbreak of meningitis. Horrified by his actions, Billy begs Death to take back the Bow. For that to happen, says Death, Billy must track down the real White Rider, and stop him from unleashing something awful on humanity—something that could make the Black Plague look like a summer cold. Does one bullied teenager have the strength to stand his ground—and the courage to save the world?
Review:

After completing both Hunger and Rage, the first two books in the Riders of the Apocalypse series, I've come to eagerly anticipate a new Kessler book every spring. I admire the way in which Jackie picks a tough issue or two and tackles them in every one of her books, because not only does she provide a realistic and believable story, but one that offers a leg of support and help to teens going through the same thing. This book in particular discussed the topics of Alzheimer’s in a family as well as bullying through Billy Ballard's life. At the start of the book, Billy is a sad and lonely teenager going through his grandfather's failing health as well as his own problems at school. Billy lacks the courage and strength to stand up for what he wants, but with the help of Death as well as the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Billy begins to grow as a character tremendously as well as help solve a life or death situation. Furthermore, I really enjoyed Jackie's writing in this one. In all, Loss is yet anther intriguing addition to the series. I can't wait to see what's next!

Loss (Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Netgalley

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:

Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.
Review:
Despite hearing excellent thing after thing about Graffiti Moon as well as its author, it took me a while to give both a try, but now that I have, all I can say is "WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!" To say the very least, this book was spectacular! I adored the whole premise from the very start as well as the idea of the whole story taking place over one single night. It made everything move in a super fast pace, but one that never left me felt like I was missing anything. Quite the opposite, actually, because I felt this one was beautifully developed and executed. I really enjoyed the characters of Lucy and Ed, two teens who seem to fit the stereotypes they've been given, but don't...not at all actually. I also enjoyed the wide variety of other characters introduced. Each added perfect little sparks to the book to make it nothing short of perfect. Lastly, the conclusion? LOVED IT! In all, Graffiti Moon is certainly a book you can't miss this year!

Graffiti Moon (Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Netgalley
~~~
Check back for some more mini-reviews tomorrow, as I continue to play catch up! :)

4 comments:

  1. Great mini reviews! I have read Hunger and Rage, but I'm not sure if I want to continue this series. Though your review is making me almost wanting to go get it and read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nina! Anyhow, I suggest you give Loss a try. It really is a great addition to the series, and if you're a fan of YA books from a male POV, this one really hits the key. You'll have to let me know if you give it a try! :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes when everyone loves a book I'm reluctant to read it. I guess I'm afraid it won't live up to the hype.
    But Graffiti Moon is one of my top reads of 2012. I absolutely loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, but yes, Graffiti Moon did live up to the hype for sure. I can't wait to read her next book.

      Delete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com