17.9.12

Mini Reviews: the First in the Fall Addition

Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? by Sloane Tanen

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
Being marooned on an island somewhere off the coast of Madagascar with five celebrities sounds romantic and glamorous, right?

Wrong.

You couldn’t find people with fewer survival skills if you tried. Seriously. Cisco may have centerfold abs, but he can’t even spell SOS. At least super-sexy Jonah seems to have a clue (too bad about the purity ring). If I’m stuck here much longer, these self-involved head cases might drive me crazy—assuming they don’t insult each other to death first. It’s like a group therapy edition of Survivor.

At this point, I’m pretty convinced that all celebrities should be caged in Hollywood and confined to the pages of US magazine. And, btw, if you’re there, God, it’s me, Francesca, and I really want to go home.

Help!
Review:

This book had me from the funny yet eye catching title as well as the hilarious and Lost-esque sounding premise. It seemed like it would be lots of fun so when the chance arose to read it, I eagerly took it. As it turns out Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? was indeed laugh-out-loud funny and deliciously snarky, but I did have a few problems with it. One part I did enjoy, though, was the wide variety of characters. Each standard celeb stereotype was featured...the party girl, the drug addict, the playboy, the good boy...even a Perez Hilton like character was featured! I loved seeing all these different types come together, because not only did their silly and sometimes irrational decisions cause lots of laughs but drama as well. I really enjoyed seeing them grow as the book continued. Now for the leading lady Francesca...I liked her for the most part. I enjoyed her snarky and tell-it-like-it-is personality as well as how she managed to transform the other characters as time progressed while even developing as a character herself. The writing was fresh and fun. Yeah, there was a few boring parts here and there but besides that it was a quick, summery type read. I also loved how Sloane used the setting. What I didn't like, though, was how young and immature Francesca seemed at times as well as how not all the plot lines were at their highest potential. I also was a bit disappointed at the lack of romance in this. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine when a book doesn't have romance...sometimes I actually prefer a book not having it. But by the cover and title, I really thought this one would, so when I found it had basically none, I was sad. However, Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? was a fun, little read, something I'd definitely suggest to the celeb gossip hounds out there as well as people looking for a funny, snarky read.

Are You Going to Kiss Me Now? (Amazon/ Barnes and Noble/ Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Publisher- thanks Sourcebooks!

The Right and the Real by Joëlle Anthony

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:

Jamie should have known something was off about the church of the Right & the Real from the start, especially when the Teacher claimed he wasn't just an ordinary spiritual leader but Jesus Christ himself. But she was too taken by Josh, the eldest son of one of the church's disciples, and his all-American good looks. Josh was the most popular boy at school, too, and the first boy outside the drama geeks to give Jamie a second look. But getting her dad involved in a cult was not part of the plan when she started dating Josh. Neither was her dad's marriage to the fanatic Mira or getting kicked out or seeing Josh in secret because the church has deemed her persona non grata.

Jamie's life has completely fallen apart. Finding her way back won't be easy, but when her dad gets himself in serious trouble, will Jamie be ready to rescue him, and maybe even forgive him?

Review:

Books about cults always fascinate me, so when I first heard about The Right and the Real, Joelle Anthony's newest book, I knew I had to read it! Thankfully, it was a fact paced and well written book that had me on the edge of my chair throughout. One of the things I loved about this book was the main character Jamie. From the start, I really liked Jamie, and I was always rooting for her to make it through this horrible time in her life. I especially loved seeing her friendship with her best friend as well as the new friend she made through her job...they brought some pretty great things to the book. The cult aspect was downright creepy and disturbing, but it really kept the book moving, as more and more drama and twists poured out. I couldn't believe Jamie's dad would leave her in such a bad position. Plus the writing was excellent! Joelle managed to capture Jamie's voice perfectly and I thought she did a great job of presenting the cult. In all, I highly suggest this one, especially if you're a fan of edgy contemporary reads!

The Right and the Real (Amazon, Goodreads, BN) is now out!

Source: Publisher

White Horse by Alex Adams

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
Thirty-year-old Zoe leads an ordinary life until the end of the world arrives. She is cleaning cages and floors at Pope Pharmaceuticals when the President of the United States announces that human beings are no longer a viable species. When Zoe realizes that everyone she loves is disappearing, she starts running. Scared and alone in a shockingly changed world, she embarks on a remarkable journey of survival and redemption. Along the way, Zoe comes to see that humans are not defined by their genetic code, but rather by their actions and choices. White Horse offers hope for a broken world, where love can lead to the most unexpected places. 
Review:

This book was so different from the typical dystopian style read! It created such a vivid world as well as a story that was unique and spellbinding, and while most times I was beyond creeped out,  I absolutely loved White Horse, to tell the truth.  The best part of the book was without a doubt the plot. I can't really describe it without giving too much a way, but let me tell, it's really different and it plays with your mind more times than one. What I loved most about it, though, was the numerous twists and turns it had throughout...I was never sure how everything was going to end, and even when I was on the last page, I was dying to know more! I really liked the characters as well. Zoe was a strong woman and it was always interesting to see how far she would go to save herself as well as the things and people she loved most. Lastly, the writing was gorgeous. I simply can't wait to read the next addition to the series, Red Horse, which comes out next Spring!

Source: Publisher- thanks Simon and Schuster!

White Horse (Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble) is now out! 

2 comments:

  1. Are You Going to Kiss Me Now looks adorable and funny. I'm happy to find out that it's really loud-out fun! I added it to the wishlist, because I def. want to read that one! Great reviews!

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me!! I started Are You Going to Kiss Me Now last summer while I was on vacation but couldn't finish it before leaving - I need to get another copy and finish/restart it :)

    I LOVE The Right & The Real. It's one of my favorite serious, edgy contemps this year.

    and I've added White Horse to my Goodreads 'to-read' so thanks for that review, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com