11.2.13

Review: The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe

*Warning: The Lives We Lost is the sequel to The Way We Fall. Therefore, there may be spoilers from the first book contained below. Proceed at your own risk.*

Summary/Cover Image from Author's Website:
First, the virus took Kaelyn’s friends. Then, her family. Now it’s taken away her home.

But she can't look back—the life she once had is gone forever.

A deadly virus has destroyed Kaelyn’s small island community and spread beyond the quarantine. No one is safe. But when Kaelyn finds samples of a vaccine in her father's abandoned lab, she knows there must be someone, somewhere, who can replicate it. As Kaelyn and her friends head to the mainland, they encounter a world beyond recognition. It’s not only the “friendly flu” that’s a killer—there are people who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the vaccine. How much will Kaelyn risk for an unproven cure, when the search could either destroy those she loves or save the human race?

Megan Crewe's second volume in the Fallen World trilogy is an action-packed journey that explores the resilience of friendship, the ache of lost love, and Kaelyn’s enduring hope in the face of the sacrifices she must make to stay alive.
Review: 

Ever since reading last year's startling and compelling The Way We Fall, the first in this series, I've been dying to read The Lives We Lost. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Kaelyn and her friends as well as what it meant with Leo finally being back. Therefore, when an early copy of The Lives We Lost ended up in my possession, I jumped right in, hoping it would be just as good as the first one. Thankfully, it was- if not more! This book contained as much drama, suspense, drive, and fear as the first one, and better yet, it developed the story in a way I just loved.

The Lives We Lost picks up not long after The Way We Fall ended. Everyone is adjusting to the addition of Leo to the group as well as dealing everyday life. However, everything changes for Kaelyn and her friends when she stumbles upon a possible cure to the virus. Knowing this may be her and her friends last chance to help their island as well as the other people of the world, they go on a mission to get the cure in the hands of someone who can replicate it. What they are about to find out, though, is that person is going to be hard to find, and that no one can really be trusted.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about this one was getting to see some of my favorite characters from last time again. It was fun to be back in Kaelyn's head. In this one, she was even stronger than she was in the previous one. Better yet, I felt that she grew even more as a character. A lot of stuff goes done in this one, and because of it, Kaelyn gets a new feeling for life and what it means. Better yet, I loved the continuation of her relationship with Gavin. Gavin is such a sweet guy, probably my favorite character in the whole series. He's always there for Kaelyn, and even when he feels scared about what they may have to face, he still barrels through right along with her. The rest of the gang was just as fun to see again, and better yet, I enjoyed finally getting to see what Leo is like. He was sort of a big mystery in the last one, and I wasn't sure what he would add to this one...good or bad. I ended up really liking him, though. He was someone who had been through a lot, but that only made him more valuable to the group. Plus while I'm always a big hater of love triangles, the one currently brewing between Kaelyn, Gavin, and Leo was one I really liked seeing, even though I don't think I could possibly pick a favorite.

The plot in this one was even better than the first one. It moved the story to new and exciting places as well as introduced new characters. What I loved about this one the most, though, was seeing Kaelyn and her friends finally get off the island. I was curious to see what had happened, and boy, was I surprised. I remember seeing someone say a while back that this isn't really a dystopian. Instead, it's something that could possibly happen in our near future, and I really was able to see that in this one, and to tell the truth, it really managed to scare me.

Megan's writing was also spot on. I thought she did a great job of keeping everything moving along as well as introducing new plot lines. Better yet, she didn't let this one face the second in a series curse. Though, that ending?! It killed me, especially when I think about having to wait another year to read the next one!

In all, The Lives We Lost is an exemplary sequel, one that I highly suggest fans of the past one check out! It's worth it...trust me.

Grade: A+

The Lives We Lost (Amazon, BN, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Publicist

Be sure to check back here on Wednesday, February 13, 2012 for a special guest post by Megan Crewe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com