17.7.13

Review: Truth or Dare by Jacqueline Green

Summary/Cover Image from Goodreads:
When a simple round of truth or dare spins out of control, three girls find it’s no longer a party game. It’s do or die.

It all started on a whim: the game was a way for Tenley Reed to reclaim her popularity, a chance for perfect Caitlin “Angel” Thomas to prove she’s more than her Harvard application. Loner Sydney Morgan wasn’t even there; she was hiding behind her camera like usual. But when all three start receiving mysterious dares long after the party has ended, they’re forced to play along—or risk exposing their darkest secrets.

How far will Tenley, Caitlin and Sydney go to keep the truth from surfacing? And who’s behind this twisted game?

Set against the backdrop of Echo Bay, an isolated beach town haunted by misfortune, Truth or Dare is a highly charged debut that will keep readers in suspense from beginning to end.
Review: 

I don't know about you, but I love a book that contains secrets and mysteries, especially when it seems to be similar to something Sara Shepard, the queen of guilty pleasure reads,  would write. Therefore, when Truth or Dare, Jacqueline Green's debut YA, landed on my radar, I knew I had to read it. An epic game of truth or dare that spins out of control? What's not to love about that? Anyhow, Truth or Dare turned out to be just what I wanted: a book filled with danger, drama, and dares that had me hooked from page one.

One of the aspects I loved most about Truth or Dare was the plot. It was interesting to see how Jacqueline worked the game of truth or dare in her book, especially when she did so in such deliciously creepy ways. Furthermore, I loved the whole "A" like message system behind it. It caused for a lot of suspense and drama, as the girls tried to figure out just who was sending the messages. Lastly, the game also allowed me to get to know the characters better, as the master of the game continued to mix the character's past scandalous encounters into the mix.The addition of a beach setting was also great, because not only did I love the descriptions, but its back story allowed for an even more mysterious feel to develop.

The characters in Truth or Dare were pretty stereotypical in some ways. You had the good girl who's dying to get into Harvard. Then there's bad girl popular girl who's always looking for a way to be on top of the social ladder. Than there's the so-called "loner." However, while I did find these girls a little too cookie-cutter at times, I still enjoyed reading about them. It was fun to see them come together as the book progressed. Plus I enjoyed seeing the little side tidbits in their lives as well. From star crossed romances, to friend drama, to partying pasts, there was plenty to keep me hooked.

Green's writing was also decent. I thought she did a great job of developing the characters and story line. I especially give her props for having a book that was close to 400 pages not really drift off and loose me at any points. However, I am kind of mad about the ending. It was so EVIL, but in the best way possible of course.

In all, Truth or Dare by Jacqueline Green is a great start to yet another addicting and scandalous young adult series, one in which I'm sure fans of Pretty Little Liars as well as The Lying Game will adore.

Grade: B+

Truth or Dare (Amazon, BN, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Netgalley/Library 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com