12.12.17

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Books of 2017


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten Favorite Books of 2017 

I've read A LOT of great books this year. Right now, I'm sitting at 55 5-star reads and 55 4-star reads (side note: I did not realize this amount was equal until just now...how odd lol). Therefore, to pick my favorites out of the bunch is so INCREDIBLY HARD, especially considering the fact I've been bad lately and read several 2018 releases that were downright AMAZING (2018 is going to be an amazing year for books - get pumped!). So in today's list I'm going to focus on my favorite books of 2017 that were released in 2017...



1) One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus: I read this entire book in one sitting, and no matter how many times I tried to tell myself to slow down, I couldn't - I just needed to know what would happen next! It reminded me of one of those '90s movies I love (confession: I pictured Nate as a young Heath Ledger).

2) Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett: The movie references for this were on point. The romance was sweet and realistic. The main characters were relatable and lovable. Truly, a YA contemporary that had me feeling all the feels.

3) Blame It on the Bet by L.E. Rico: I've read A LOT of romance this year; however, this one is my favorite! I loved the characters, I loved the romance, I loved the small town setting. I can't wait to read the next in the series!

4) Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George: There's so many interesting things to be found within the 1920s yet I barely read any books set during this time. Well, this book made me want to read all the books involving the 1920s! I loved the setting, the characters were perfectly imperfect (I especially loved Beatrice! She was so wonderfully unapologetic!).

5) The Phoebe Pope series by Nya Jade: I know, I know...this is technically two books, but I read both in the span of 24 hours so let's just pretend they're one :D It's been a while since I've read a series that I NEEDED the next book asap AND I got VA feels from this.



6)  One Love by Deanna Cabinian: This was the sequel I didn't know I needed. I enjoyed Deanna's first book - One Night - but One Love surpassed its prequel in so many ways. Also, I loved the college setting - more books should be set there.

7) Bonfire by Krysten Ritter: Sometimes celebrity books are good. Sometimes they are bad. However, this one was incredible! I loved the suspense, the mystery, the small-town feels, and I also appreciated that Krysten gave a voice to those town's suffering from pollution and corruption like the one depicted.

8) Even the Darkest Stars by Heather Fawcett: The world building alone makes this worthy of holding a place on this list.

9) Craig and Fred by Craig Grossi: Nonfiction is not a genre I normally read; however, there was something about this book that called to me (*cough* the cute dog *cough*). I'm so glad I gave this book a chance. It was such a heartwarming book, and while it made me cry like a baby at the end, I still can't suggest it highly enough!

10) The Rules of Persuasion by Amity Home: If Blame it on the Bet is my favorite adult romance this year, The Rules of Persuasion is definitely my favorite YA romance. This book contains a plot I've seen time and time again yet Amity makes it shine like something brand spankin' new.


---

What are some of your favorite books of 2017? Any of the ones I listed above? Let me know in the comments! 

34 comments:

  1. I just recently bought Speak Easy, Speak Love so I'm thrilled to see it made your 'Best of' list. One of Us is Lying was a great read for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love Speak Easy, Speak Love!! It makes me so happy when I see that someone bought that book. :)

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe it is this time of year already! I need to put my Top Ten list together. I have Speak Easy, Speak Love and will definitely be reading it since you and many others loved it so much. Great list, Lauren!

    Have a wonderful day. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I was putting this list together, and wondering where the time has gone! Also, there's so many 2017 releases I want to read but haven't gotten to yet. Curses of a large TBR pile lol Hope you love Speak Easy, Speak Love when you get around to it :)

      Delete
  3. I still need to make time for Krysten Ritter's book. I DNFed Tom Hanks' book a couple weeks ago, so I'm a little wary about books written by actors, but I love Krysten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually the same. In high school, I read Lauren Conrad's series as a guilty pleasure lol but Bonfire is definitely not the typical celeb book. I've also listened to some of her interviews and you can tell how passionate she was about writing the book.

      Delete
  4. Ooh One Of Us Is Lying is on my list too- good stuff! And Alex, approximately is one I want to get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously can't wait for Karen's next book! I hope the summary is released soon. And yes, Alex, Approximately is so much fun!

      Delete
  5. I hope to read Even the Darkest Stars soon. Need to check and see if my library has it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! I thought it was something special :)

      Delete
  6. One of Us Is Lying sounds like a great read.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love mysteries/thrillers, you'd definitely enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Would love to read One of Us is Lying and that Bonfire. Both have me curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sped through One of Us is Lying too! I really liked how those accused grew and dealt with what everyone was saying about them. I want to read Bonfire because I really like Krysten Ritter in Jessica Jones so want to see what her writing is like.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting to see so many people enjoyed One of Us is Lying! I was slightly hesitant about Bonfire - since celeb books are usually more miss than hit - but it really managed to surprise me! Hope you enjoy it when/if you check it out :)

      Delete
  9. One of Us is Lying was unputdownable for me too! :) I'll check out Even the Darkest Stars! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! I loved the atmosphere and adventure in it. :)

      Delete
  10. I really like the books from Crush, no matter how cliche SOME of them are!! <3 I really want to read all of the books on your list, especially Alex, Approximately!!!

    Here's my TTT: https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/12/Blogmas-Day-12-Top-17-Books-of-2017

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crush books are usually solid 3 star reads for me, but there's something about TROP that brought it up to a 5 :)

      Delete
  11. I have not read most of these! I did read One of Us is Lying and enjoyed it a lot. I usually avoid celeb books but glad to hear that this one is good!
    Jen Ryland Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I usually avoid them too, but there was something about Bonfire that made it stand out to me.

      Delete
  12. I actually read 4 of those, and methinks I see one of my faves up there. You are really making me regret turning down the review opportunity for One Love (I really had no time), but I do hope to read both books soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry :( but they are wonderful reads (Deanna is such an underrated YA contemp writer) and I hope you love them when you get the time! :)

      Delete
  13. I have mostly had 4 and 5 star read this year which is great. I have only read One of Us Is Lying from your list but have a few more on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you've had a good reading year as well! :) I actually haven't given out any 1-stars, which is a new thing for me.

      Delete
  14. Great list! I also added Bonfire to my own list. I don't know Krysten Ritter as an actress, but her book was phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyssa! So happy to hear you enjoyed Bonfire as well :)

      Delete
  15. Looks like a great list. I'll definitely have to check out some of these books.

    Have a great week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to read Speak Easy. I've been teaching my students all about this era, prohibition and Al Capone and they are loving it. I can't wait to get that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of history classes in high school and college but I feel like we always speed through this time period so that's awesome your teaching your students about it :) Hope you love the book when/if you read it!

      Delete
  17. I bought Craig and Fred for my father for Xmas, it has gotten great reviews! I can't wait to read One of Us is Lying in 2018, it is a pick for a bookclub I am in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you bought Craig and Fred. I feel like it's such an underrated book! I hope your father loves it :) I also hope you love OOUIL. I'm sure it will be a fun book club book as there's so much to guess about.

      Delete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com