31.1.18

Review: The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory



Synopsis and Cover Image from Publisher's Website: 
A groomsman and his last-minute guest are about to discover if a fake date can go the distance in a fun and flirty debut novel.

Agreeing to go to a wedding with a guy she gets stuck with in an elevator is something Alexa Monroe wouldn't normally do. But there's something about Drew Nichols that's too hard to resist.

On the eve of his ex's wedding festivities, Drew is minus a plus one. Until a power outage strands him with the perfect candidate for a fake girlfriend...

After Alexa and Drew have more fun than they ever thought possible, Drew has to fly back to Los Angeles and his job as a pediatric surgeon, and Alexa heads home to Berkeley, where she's the mayor's chief of staff. Too bad they can't stop thinking about the other...

They're just two high-powered professionals on a collision course toward the long distance dating disaster of the century--or closing the gap between what they think they need and what they truly want...
Review: 

As soon as I saw the title and cover of Jasmine Guillory's The Wedding Date, I knew I had to have it! Books about weddings are some of my favorites. Plus anytime the word "fake" is involved - be it a fake date or a fake relationship - I'm 100% sold. 

The verdict? Adorable, charming, and highly romantic, The Wedding Date is a fantastic addition to the romance genre. I seriously can't believe this is Jasmine's debut novel - it's just that great! 

The Wedding Date introduces us to Alexa and Drew, two ambitious young professionals who seem to have everything but love in their lives. 

I adored Alexa from the start. She's smart, determined, and loyal, especially when it comes to her friends and family. However, sometimes she jumps to conclusions where she shouldn't and feels insecure when it comes to diving into the unknown. To put it simply, she's perfectly imperfect, making it all the more easy to relate to her as well as like her. Over the course of the book, Alexa becomes more daring - she goes on a fake date, dives into a long distance relationship, and takes on a challenging project at work - and I just loved seeing this adventurous part of her emerge! 

Drew, on the other hand, works hard, plays harder, and avoids relationships like the plague if he can help. Commitment scares him, which is why he's become known as the ultimate heartbreaker; however, something changes when he meets Alexa - he becomes softer. At first, I had a love-hate relationship with Drew. On one side, I LOVED how he was with Alexa - sweet and kind, the ultimate gentleman. However, on the other side, I hated how he was often so ready to throw everything away because he was scared to have something real. Gosh, sometimes this boy just needed a smack on the head. 

The plot in The Wedding Date mainly revolves around Drew and Alexa's developing romance. It reminded me of one of my favorite romantic comedy movies, which made it all the better in my opinion. I loved the start at the wedding - I felt that Jasmine did a great job of establishing the connection between Drew and Alexa. As the book progressed and the weekend trips become more frequent, Drew and Alexa's romance ramped up the heat. It was so much fun to see their relationship continue; however, what I loved the most about it was the fact that it wasn't all smooth sailing. Drew and Alexa faced every day problems - communication issues, not knowing where they stood, juggling work, friendship, and romance, etc. - and I thought it added a realistic edge to this mostly romantic novel. It caused natural drama to occur, and made the novel and the characters stronger in the long run. Additionally, I enjoyed how Jasmine made Drew and Alexa's work such an important part of the book. I loved seeing the additional characters it brought to the mix (especially Carlos!!) as well as the relationships and challenges it brought forth. The change in relationship between Alexa and her sister really managed to warm my heart! 

In all, The Wedding Date is a book I highly suggest to romance fans, particularly those who love Rainbow Rowell or Sophie Kinsella. 

Grade: A- 

The Wedding Date is now out! 

Source: ARC provided by BookishFirst and Publisher 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this too, Lauren. I loved this book too! Totally adored Alexa and Drew! I get what you mean about Drew though. They both had a lot of issues to work through between the two of them.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing this one around a lot lately, and it looks so cute! I love stories about weddings, too. I might need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com