4.11.08

Lucky by Rachel Vail




Summary:
It's all good . . . and lucky Phoebe Avery plans to celebrate by throwing an end-of-the-year bash with her four closest friends. Everything will be perfect-from the guest list to the fashion photographer to the engraved invitations. The only thing left to do is find the perfect dress . . . until Phoebe goes from having it all to hiding all she's lost.

Phoebe's older sisters warn her to keep the family's crisis totally secret. Unfortunately, her alpha-girl best friend looks increasingly suspicious, and Phoebe's crush starts sending seriously mixed signals. Phoebe tries hard to keep smiling, but when her mother is humiliated in Neiman Marcus while buying Phoebe that perfect dress and her father decides to cancel her party, she panics. How far will she go to keep up her image as a lucky girl?
(from inside cover)
Review:

I have always loved Rachel Vail's books and Lucky was no exception. Lucky was a cute and heartful story of how Phoebe's life changes after her mother looses her job because of a scandal that breaks out. Suddenly, Phoebe isn't the richest and luckiest girl and everyone can see it. I thought this situation was very realistic especially during the current issues that some teens are facing with their parents loosing their jobs. Also, I enjoyed how Rachel made this topic semi lighter by adding friend problems and romance in to. This book flew quite well and was never really boring though never that exciting either. The situations could be funny at times, making me smile. Lastly, I thought the conclusion was just right not too happy or too sad, just bittersweet. Plus, I love the cover a ton. The dress looks exactly how it was described in the book. I wish I could find a dress that looks just like that. One of the only problems I had with Lucky was how weak the bonds where between the Phoebe and her sisters. Though, their relationship may grow in the next book, possibly. In all, Lucky was a decent book. I suggest it to people who are in between books and don't know what to read next.

By the way, Lucky is the first book in the Avery sister trilogy. They are all based on one of the three Avery sisters. The next one is due out in late '08 or '09.

3.5/ 4 stars

1 comment:

  1. I normally adore Rachel Vail, but there was something baout the characters in this one that I just couldn't like. I'll wait for the next title.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com