17.2.09

The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor


Summary:

Abigail and her sister, Becky, have always been referred to as the "September Sisters." Since their birthdays are only two years and one day apart and they have always put up an allusion that they are best friends. Though, in reality they are far from it. They enjoy making each other miserable by calling each other a baby when one of them shows weakness or simply taking the pink tube in the pool before the other does.

Everything changes, though, when Becky suddenly disappears from the house in the middle of a summer night. Suddenly, Abigail's life is turned upside down. Her mother has fallen into a deep depression and is spending most of time sleeping or just staring into space in the darkness of her room, her dad is putting all his time and effort into finding Becky no matter how much it costs him or his family, and her best friend, along with everyone else at school, thinks that hanging out with her will cause misfortune in their lives too.

Now Abigail doesn't know how to deal with the sadness and guilt over the loss of her sister. Though, with the help of the nice boy who moves in next door, she begins to see that love and happiness still exists even when the people around you can't fathom such a thing.


Review:

Even before reading this novel, I had high hopes. Since, the cover is awesome, the summary is intriguing, and Jillian Cantor has been compared to Sarah Dessen(which means it has to be an extremely good book) Lucky for me, it was wonderful.

The September Sisters is a stunning debut novel that will have all reading long into the night.

Jillian Cantor perfectly captures the raw and scary feelings of first love and losing someone you love dearly. Abby's voice is strong and funny even though she has gone through so much. She is definitely one of those characters that you can relate to even though you haven't had to go through 1/5 of what she has.

One of my favorite parts of this novel was Cantor's writing. It didn't hold back once and it had me wondering throughout the story: Will Becky come back alive and if she doesn't, will the Reeds' realize they have another daughter to raise?

The plot was interesting and had complex turns to it that changed everything. I really liked how it started out in the beginning that they had found Becky, but than transformed to that night so long ago that changed everything. I felt that without that you would not really get to see all the drama Abby and her parents went through.

Overall, The September Sisters was an amazing novel that will appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen, Laurie Halse Anderson, and Meg Cabot. I truly think Jillian has the possibility to be the next big thing in Young Adult fiction! I highly suggest that you go pick this book up from your local library or go buy it at the bookstore when it is released.

Grade: A+

The September Sisters will be released in hardback on February 24, 2009. You can find out more about it here. Also, you can go check out Jillian's blog here and her website here.

* Much thanks to Jillian Cantor for sending me not only a copy, but a singed copy! :)

25 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm reading this book now and really enjoying it. :)

    And thanks for pointing out about the "They've found her" thing in the beginning. For some reason, I had thought that had meant they'd found her alive and then I was like "Well, that's a sucky beginning, just giving away the ending like that." Thanks for making me look at it again, lol. Otherwise, I'd have complained about it in my review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw awesome review, Lauren! I read and reviewed this and loved it. I'm so glad someone else feels the same. I can't wait to read more of her books in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book Chic: It funny that you said that because that's what I thought in the beginning, too. I was like " Why are they telling the ending, in the first chapter? That's so dumb" Though, soon after I thought that, I realized what it actually meant.

    YA Book Realm: Same here! I hope her next book comes out sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! The cover is so interesting and pretty and the summary DOES sound super-exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love stories about sisters, as me and my sister are really close :) that would be awful!

    but great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review - it definitely sounds like a great read, especially if it's along the lines of other great YA authors like Meg Cabot, Laurie Halse Anderson, Sarah Dessen, etc. It sounds like a heartbreakin gjourney!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok..I have to admit it..I judge a book by its cover! I usually only read a review if I like the cover....this cover made me stop and read about it! And it looks great! I added it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo that's quite a big talk about Jillian!

    "I truly think Jillian has the possibility to be the next big thing in Young Adult fiction!"

    lol I should keep an eye out for her then? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds incredible! Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is an outstanding review, and high praise. hope she lives up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds awesone. I've been into this book eversince I read Kristy's review. Now you make me want it more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds really intriguing! I already love Meg Cabot and Sarah Dessen, I'm sure I'll absolutely love this book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great review! sounds like a great read... ive had this book on my wishlist for awhile now and i LOVE the cover :D

    romancebookaddict(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Review. I really want to read this book. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent review! I'm a fan of Sarah Dessen, Laurie Halse Anderson, and Meg Cabot, so I will definitely read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. An A+. This book must be really great. =D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo, nice review! I've heard a lot about this book, so im definitely adding it to my list of books to read :)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review! I'd been curious about this book, but hadn't really known that much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review, it just convinces me even more that I have to read this book. And the cover is just breathtaking, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for bringing this author and her book to light for me! What a great sounding story line with interesting characters! Cindi
    jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, this sounds wonderful, and I love all the authors you compared her to!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one's definitely on my must-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so jealous you got to read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've wanted to read this book soo bad and you're review just made me want it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds so good! Especially with your review!

    I love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com