12.3.10

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Summary:

"I liked him first, but it dosen't matter.
I still like him.
That dosen't matter either.
Or at least, it's not supposed to."

"Everyone knows the unwritten rule. You don't like you best friend's boyfriend."

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more....

Review:

I don't know about you, but I simply heart Elizabeth Scott's novels. I heart them so much in fact that whenever I hear that a new one is coming out, I get all squeal happy and even more so when a copy arrives in my mailbox. From that information, you can just image how happy I was when The Unwritten Rule somehow ended up in my possession ( early even!) a couple of months ago. Plus, since I couldn’t wait any longer I tore into that exact day, hoping that it would be just as fab as Elizabeth's previous novels. Lucky for me, it certainly was, as I began to see as I laughed at the funny parts, got sad at the sad parts, and was so crushed when I finally ended up on the last word all in the same day.

Sarah was a character that was easy for me to relate to, because of the fact that just like any other Elizabeth Scott novel she was an ordinary girl just trying to find her place in this crazy world, all while trying to keep her loved one's happy. Though, the one unordinary thing about her was the tiny, well big, fact that she was in love with her best friends boyfriend and that that boyfriend may just like her too. I really adored this story line, even though I'm all against any from of cheating, simply because it caused for a lot of drama ( Will they or won’t they? Does he like her too? ) and because throughout the story she always did her best not to hurt her friend by handling the whole situation in a very mature way. Which left her to earn her major points in my opinion. Plus, it was fun to read about her shoe obsession! Further more, I loved Ryan, the boyfriend, too! Since, he was such a sweat and adorable guy. Though, the one character I wasn't too found of was the best friend, surprisingly. To understand my point of view on this let me tell you about Brianna: She is basically that kind of girl who because of her family problems is just a huge witch with a b, quite bluntly, without even realizing it. I really tried to understand her reasons, because seriously haven't most of us been there with our family or at least had a close friend who went through something like Brianna did? But most of the time she treated Sarah like crap and did some pretty stupid things, which really made her a character that I could have done without, even though she is essential to the story. On the flip side, I was happy when Sarah finally stood up to her. I was all like, "Go Sarah!"

The plot and writing were also both key essentials to how great this book was, because of the suspense as mentioned above and the ability Elizabeth has to make this story go in fun and fast paced way that I adored! Sadly, though, there were some parts of this story that were a bit too choppy for my liking, but it didn't take too much away from the story overall.

In all, while The Unwritten Rule is not Elizabeth's best book yet, it still is just a fabulous and darling as the superb cover it has. So, do your best to pick this book up!

Grade: B+

The Unwritten Rule will be released March 16, 2010!

Source: Publisher/ Author. Thanks ES and Simon and Schuster!

10 comments:

  1. I've only read one Of Elizabeth Scott's books, but she is a amazing writer. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review Lauren! I can't wait for Amazon UK to get this one in stock - I love ES's books too!

    I'm glad this one didn't disappoint :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elizabeth and her novels too! She's so fantastic & captures those raw emotional feelings incredibly. This was a great addition to her novels. My favourites are still Bloom & Perfect You. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I think an advantage of this book is that it's really realistic. This thing happens, right? Well, I know a few people who are inlove with their bestfriend's boyfriend. And it really does entail drama. Brianna sounds troubled and a little mean to Sarah. But I'm glad that she played the role of supportive bestfriend and stood up for Brianna. And Ryan does seem appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I love the cover. I'm new to Elizabeth Scott books. This one sounds really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not read any of her books yet, but I've got one in my bookshelf and this one is on my wishlist. Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Elizabeth is amazing! And I loved this book. I didn't think it was her best, but it was awesome. I hate love triangles and cheating storylines, but this one worked for me. Sarah and Ryan were so good and I liked that about them. And I liked that I would not like Brianna, but then I'd think she was ok. She kept me guessing about her. Great review-I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read another review of this same book and heard great things! I haven't picked up one of Scott's books, but I'll have to soon! They all sound great. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review convinced me, i'm really curious about this book and i'm adding it to my list, it sounds so great

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to read an Elizabeth Scott book, but this one seems particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com