21.6.09

In My Mailbox ( 6/ 15 to 6/ 20)

I am "stealing" this from The Story Siren. If you want to find out more about it click here. Anyway, these are books I got this week at the bookstore, library, and in the mail, of course. All summaries are from either Barnes and Noble, Amazon or Goodreads.

For Review:

The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard ( ARC/ January 2010/ Viking)

Seventeen-year-old Colt has been sneaking out at night to meet Julia, a girl from an upper-class neighborhood unlike his own. They’ve never told anyone else about their relationship: not their family or friends, and especially not Julia’s boyfriend.When Julia dies suddenly, Colt tries to cope with her death while pretending that he never even knew her. He discovers a journal she left behind. But he is not prepared for the truths he discovers about their intense relationship, nor to pay the price for the secrets he’s kept

Ooh, my first review copy for 2010. Isn't that exciting? Anyway, this book looks fabulous.

Cast The First Stone by Gwendolyn DeRosa ( Paperback)

"Dear Dad, I’m 12 years old today. I try but I can’t remember what you look like anymore. I asked Donna for a picture of you but she said that Gramma burned them all…”

And so begins the compelling and brutally honest tale of Denny Stone and her best friend, Haley Fisher. Cast the First Stone is a first novel that is as humorous as it is bittersweet. This unique "coming-of-age" tale set in dreary, small-town Oklahoma, stars Denny Stone, a feisty girl with a sharp tongue and a taste for rum & Coke. Fiercely independent, she typifies the rebel in all of us – constantly redefining herself within the confines of her Podunk existence. By contrast, her best friend Haley is soft-spoken and timid – inexplicably trapped in the role of matriarch with her ever-growing, poverty-stricken family. They struggle with their emerging sexuality, social status, spirituality and family. As Denny plans her escape to California, Haley draws further inward, seeking out God and testing the limits of friendship and loyalty, leaving one burning question: who will cast the first stone?

Not a huge fan of the cover, though it sounds interesting.

From Contest:

Kisses and Lies by Lauren Henderson ( ARC/ Jaunary 2009/ Random House)

After discovering that someone saw what looked like Dan’s emergency EpiPen in A-lister Plum’s designer handbag, Scarlett and her tough American sidekick, Taylor, sneak into a posh London nightclub, where Plum has a private table. Scarlett is stunned to discover a piece of evidence that might implicate another girl in Plum’s exclusive circle, Lucy Raleigh. Which means Scarlett must cast a wider net in order to catch the right suspect.

Back at school, groundskeeper Jase is hoping to take Scarlett’s mind off her troubles with some heart-stopping kisses. Scarlett can’t help but feel guilty for indulging in romantic rendezvous when she should be hunting down Dan’s killer. However, once Scarlett finds out how Lucy is connected to Dan, she knows she must drop everything and travel to the McAndrew estate in Scotland to hunt for more clues. But when she arrives, Scarlett becomes the target of a dangerous hunt herself.


I liked the first one, Kiss Me Kill Me, a ton. So, I can't wait to read this one. Plus, I heart the cover.

Overall, I pretty decent week that will allow me to catch up my huge TBR Pile which seems to only be getting bigger not smaller. :)

23 comments:

  1. The Secret Year sounds awesome! You def. got good books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Secret Year sounds really good! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm extremely jealous over you having The Secret Year. It sounds amazing. Can't wait to see what you think about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh I want to read The Secret Year so bad! Can't wait to see your thoughts on it. Great week!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great week with books. The Secret Year sounds amazing and the book cover is very eye catching. I hope you enjoy all your reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh the secret year looks so good. hope you have fun reading them and cannot wait to read your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to read The Secret Year. It sounds completely awesome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the book titles you got this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kisses and Lies sounds interesting. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to read The Secret Year. Great books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Secret Year looks amazing. I can't wait for all the 2010 books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll love Kisses and Lies! (I sure did!) The Secret Year sounds fascinating. Happy Readings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous of the Secret Year! Everyone is getting it :-p. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree about Secret Year - it looks/sounds amazing! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Secret Year looks amazing. I hope it's as good as it sounds!

    -Briana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of awesome books! I hope they're as good as they look! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Secret Year just looks great! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great books you got this week, Kisses and Lies is a great book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kisses and Lies sounds really good. Great week. I have an award for you at my blog http://eatsleepdanceread.blogspot.com/2009/06/in-my-mailbox-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Secret Year sounds hot. Can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Secret Year looks great! Great review too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com