23.6.09

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

Summary:

To impress the popular girls on a high school trip to London, klutzy Callie buys real Prada heels. But trying them on, she trips…conks her head…and wakes up in the year 1815!

There Callie meets Emily, who takes her in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. As she spends time with Emily’s family, Callie warms to them—particularly to Emily’s cousin Alex, a hottie and a duke, if a tad arrogant.

But can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, and win Alex’s heart, before her time in the past is up?

More Cabot than Ibbotson, Prada and Prejudice is a high-concept romantic comedy about finding friendship and love in the past in order to have happiness in the present.


Review:

When I won Prada and Prejudice in a contest a couple of months ago I was ecstatic. Since, it was a combination of three of my favs: Prada, Time Travel, and Regency England Times. Luckily, it was a sweet book that I adored.

Callie was someone I could relate to because I'm a geek in Science and Math, too, a girl who says what on my mind at any time, and a complete klutz. This all made me like Callie from the start which lead me to constantly cheer for her throughout the story. Getting to the topic of Alex, I absolutely loved him. He was funny and mysterious which made me fall for him throughout the story, though he could be bit of a jerk at times. The other main characters like Emily and Victoria were also great additions to the story.

Mandy's writing and plot development was decent. Though, there was one thing she was lacking on big time: buildup. It seemed like once you got used to the modern time Callie you were sent back in time and when you got comfortable with that you were sent back to modern times for the ending in a quick 214 pages. I would have loved to see more foreshadowing and build up, because it would have allowed Prada and Prejudice to bloom into an even better book.

Overall, Prada and Prejudice is a great read for a sunny day of lying around. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mandy has up next because she is yet another fabulous 2009 debutante.

Grade: B

Prada and Prejudice is now out in paperback.

6 comments:

  1. Great review, Lauren! Everyone's talking about her lack of explaining Callie in her modern time.

    I so want to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit it, I love 'chick lit' like this! I love play offs on Pride and Prejudice (not more than I love original of course), but this sounds a lot like Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. I will of course have to read Prada and Prejudice before I make my final judgement (and like I said its not a chore for me to read this kind of novel), I just hope that Hubbard can pull of something original from the story as well.

    If you like this kind of novel, I highly suggest reading Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict AND Me and Mr. Darcy! Both are great quick reads, but Me and Mr. Darcy is phenomonal! It quickly became one of my all time favorite novels!

    Great Review and I'll make sure to pick it up this week!

    Reagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Lost in Austen? The main modern character swaps place with Elizabeth Bennet and has to keep the Regency characters following "the script" of P & P. Very funny as well. Mr Darcy makes a trip to modern day London!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was so clever and funny, I just LOVED Alex and Emily, and Callie was so hilarious too. She was totally lovable, and had me rooting for her the whole time, too! I agree, I just wish we could've seen more of Callie in her "natural habitat" (21st century)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also won a copy in a giveaway, but have been unable to read it because I haven't read the original Pride & Prejudice yet.... Thanks for the review, Callie seems like a wonderful character! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com