1) Give Up The Ghost is your debut novel. Can you tell us a bit about your road to publication for it?
It was pretty straight-forward, actually! When I'd finished and revised GHOST, I started querying agents, and after a few months of sending out partials and fulls got an offer of representation. My agent sent the book out to editors, and then there was a lot of waiting, a few close calls (editor loved it but someone higher up said no), some revision, and finally two offers. Well worth the wait!
2) In Give Up The Ghost, Cass has the ability to talk to ghosts, people who have died, but have not yet crossed over. Which leaves me to wonder if you could talk to any ghost of someone you loved who has died who would it be?
I would talk to the ghost of my maternal grandfather, who died when I was in junior high school. I always got along with him well, but I never really got to know him because I was still pretty young when he got sick. It'd be nice to find out more about his life.
3) Did Give Up The Ghost change in any big ways from first draft to what you see in the final version?
All of the important stuff stayed pretty much the same. :) The biggest change was removing a subplot that didn't entirely fit the story and replacing that material with other stuff that did.
4) Is there one specific thing that you hope that the readers of your book will take from it?
I hope they'll take the idea that there's more to people and situations than may first appear--that even if things seem hopeless there are ways to deal with them, that someone you never expected may be able to help you if you give them a chance.
5) If you could pick a theme song for Give Up The Ghost what would it be?
"Trouble" by Lisa Germano--I listened to it a lot while I was writing.
6) What is your favorite thing about being an author so far? Least?
My favorite thing is writing! I love making up stories and figuring out how my characters will react in certain situations, all the creative stuff.
My least favorite part is the waiting that's such a large part of publishing. Even once your book sells, you have to wait at least 18 months before it comes out. And during a lot of that time, there's relatively little you can do for that book. Which is why I distract myself with more writing. :)
7) Are you currently working on anything?
Of course! (See above.) I'm taking a little break to focus on GHOST's launch, since it's so soon, but I have a couple of YA novels waiting for revisions once that's done.
8) Is there anything else you would like to add?
I love to hear from readers, so if you'd like to know more about me or GHOST, feel free to stop by my website (http://www.megancrewe.com ) and contact me via email or my blog!
Thank so much, Megan! Now, you can check out my review here, which I posted earlier this week, or go look for Give Up The Ghost in your local book store! :)
Also, I have some Give Up The Ghost bookmarks to giveaway to two lucky people. So, just leave a comment on this post saying you would like to be entered. :) I guess this will end...... next Thursday, the 24th.