22.11.10

Losing Faith by Denise Jaden

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Webiste:

A terrible secret. A terrible fate.

When Brie's sister, Faith, dies suddenly, Brie's world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood and barely even liked, everything in her life seems to spiral farther and farther off course. Her parents are a mess, her friends don't know how to treat her, and her perfect boyfriend suddenly seems anything but.

As Brie settles into her new normal, she encounters more questions than closure: Certain facts about the way Faith died just don't line up. Brie soon uncovers a dark and twisted secret about Faith's final night...a secret that puts her own life in danger.
Review:

Before beginning my official review of Losing Faith, I have to say that I absolutely love the cover of this. It's simply breathtaking and truly captures the feeling of this book, in my opinion. But I digress.

Anyhow, Losing Faith is an beautiful, heartbreaking, and unique debut, one that I'm sure many teens who enjoy a sad but hopeful read will eat up right up.

Losing Faith tells the story of Brie, a girl who's always been the black sheep of family. Because unlike her parents and sister Faith, she's really not that religious. Especially when compared to Faith. Though, one night that seems like just a regular one something tragic occurs. Faith is found dead at the bottom of a cliff. Her death is ruled as a suicide, but Brie can't believe or come to terms with the fact that her beloved sister would do such a thing. So, before she knows it, she's on the path to finding out the truth behind Faith's death, but is she really ready to see a side of her sister she never knew occurred, one who belonged to a religious cult and did some sketchy things? Only time will tell in this deeply intriguing novel of religious cults and how a girl's life can change in one quick and sudden moment.

Brie was one of my favorite aspect of Losing Faith, because I just really enjoyed reading about her. I constantly rooted for in the many different aspects of her life varying from her finding "true" friends to the truth behind her sister's death. I especially loved the fact that she never stopped at anything to find out the truth about her sister, and while some might say her actions were silly and impulsive, I thought nothing of the sort. I also enjoyed reading about her friendship with Tessa, yet anther interesting character, and Alis, the quiet but unique boy-next-door so to say.

Another part I enjoyed about this book was the plot and what come along with it. I always find religious cults to be scary but that never stops me from reading as much as I can about them simply because I'm always fascinated about why people would want to belong to such a thing. So, as you can probably image, I found the cult aspect of this great, epically given how real Denise made it and the fact that she constantly introduced twists throughout with it.

Denise Jaden's writing was also a high point. It definitely makes me excited to read more by her in the future, but I didn't always like how some parts of this moved in a really slow pace. Though, besides that I have nothing but love for this novel.

In all, Losing Faith is a great read about loosing it all and puting the pieces of life back together. Denise Jaden is great new addition to YA.

Grade: B+

Losing Faith is now out!

Source: unsolicited review copy provided by the publisher

Book Trailer:

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know this book dealt with religious cults. That's pretty interesting. I'll definitely have to check this book out now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review- I also really enjoyed this. Denise is an awesome writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm adding this one to my Christmas list. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com