14.9.12

Review: Silver and Stone (Bloodlines Series, #1) by J.D. Thompson

Summary/Cover Image from Goodreads:


Welcome to high school high society hell, where last season’s slingbacks can warrant a lunch table demotion, the wrong date will knock you off the it-list and behind every pair of oversized Chanel sunglasses lies a secret people are dying to keep.

As if senior year at Weatherford Preparatory School wasn’t hard enough, sixteen year old Alexis Bardolph had to add school outcast to the curriculum.

A new found notoriety following a family scandal, her lacrosse star boy-friend dumping her for a former BFF and a string of perpetually bad hair days were among the many things going wrong in her already turbulent teenage life.

But when the haunting nightmares that have plagued her since childhood begin to take an eerily tangible form and several Holler Creek residents are reported missing, Alexis can’t help but wonder if there isn’t more to her hellish dreams than meets the eye.

The unexpected arrival of a mysterious and dangerously handsome new student ultimately leads Alexis to troubling truths that not even her wildest imagination could have conjured.

Review:

Silver and Stone has been sitting on my eReader for the longest of times, and I really don't know why. It sounded like such an incredible book. I wanted to know more about Alexis's family scandal as well as the nightmares she had been facing. Plus I was curious about the paranormal feeling it was giving off. Anyhow, I ended up giving it a try recently, and I really enjoyed it! Full of feisty, strong characters, twists as well as turns, and not one but two awesome love interests, Silver and Stone has officially become a new favorite of mine!

Silver and Stone tells the story of Alexis Bardolph, a girl who hasn't been having the greatest of luck lately. It all started months ago when her family gained town wide scrutiny for the deadly scandal that had occurred. In the aftermath, Alexis lost a lot: her boyfriend, her social standing, her father and sister's approval and love, and a bunch of friends. However, Alexis won't let it get her down. Instead, she's looking on the bright sides of things: she still has her two best friends as well as a new swoon-worthy boy who might just be interested in her her. Yet Alexis's knows things can't stay good for long, but what's coming she can't even predict- even if her nightmares may be giving her a hint or two...what happens? Only time and more pages can in this suspenseful, whirlwind paranormal!

The aspect that made this read the perfect one for me would have had to be the plot. It was so suspenseful and twisty, and I was forever left with so many questions....what happened all those months ago? Was there more to Lucas than what appeared? Were there a more paranormal than logical explanation to the recent bear attacks? All those questions and more were swirling around my head throughout, and I always pumped to find out the answers as well as develop my own theories. In addition, when the paranormal aspect was finally reveled I was plenty surprised...it wasn't the usual and it has added a lot of potential for future books in the series.

I also really enjoyed the characters in this. Alexis was someone I rooted for from the start, especially when I learned more about her back story. I was constantly hoping she would let the past fade and instead live in the moment. I also really enjoyed seeing her relationships/friendships with the other characters. I thought her best friends were great additions, and the Lucas aspect was always a ton of fun...I'm always a sucker for forbidden love, even though my most favorite guy wasn't Lucas....

J.D.'s writing in this one was decent. I thought she did a fantastic job of moving the story along as well as developing the story and its different aspects.

In all, Silver and Stone was a fun and fresh paranormal read, and I can't wait to see what's up next for Alexis and Lucas in the next one!

Grade: B+

Silver and Stone (Amazon, BN, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Author- thanks J.D.!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com