Just Some Fun Things About My Book and Me
by Malia Ann Haberman
1. Chase Tinker and the House of Magic is filled with imagination, fun, adventure, secrets, lies, intrigue, and of course, magic. It also has a lot of great, interesting characters, but one I have a special spot in my heart for is Janie's pet ferret, Maxwell. He started out as just a cute little minor character who likes to steal stuff, but pretty soon, as the story went on, his role grew until neither the books nor the characters would be the same without him.
2. I've never understood people who say they don't like to read. I'm like, "Are you crazy!? I mean, reading is one of the most awesome things you can ever do!"
4. I admit it. I'm a chocoholic. Whenever I go out shopping, I have to run by the See's Candies store or I'll be in there buying a whole bunch of those lovely, drool-worthy chocolates.
5. I knew I'd never be able to write any books without some lovey-dovey stuff in them, so I created Persephone, a character, who not only has a super important destiny, but also becomes Chase's secret crush. I think emotions like that add an extra zingy spark to the interactions between the characters, don't you?
6. I like Christmas lights so much, I keep them up in my house year round. They're not only colorful and pretty; they make terrific night lights too, because, well, I'm still a little afraid of the dark. This is a very good reason why I don't watch scary movies.
7. My Chase Tinker books take place in the Pacific Northwest and the Seattle area. I made up an island called Blackberry Island, stuck it out in the middle of Puget Sound and put the Tinker House of Magic on it. I think, because this area has a lot of clouds and rain, it seems a lot more mysterious than someplace where the sun shines a lot more.
8. I also write fun poetry. I even had one published in an anthology book. It's called "The Baby Ate the Dog Food."
9. One of the storylines in my book is that every Tinker is born with their own unique magical ability, and every time someone dies their magical ability transforms into a room and becomes part of the Tinker house. The house is nearly 500 years old. Now, that's a lot of magical rooms so I had to come up with loads of different powers. A couple of my favorites are the ability to shoot whatever you want out of your nose and the ability to transform into any bird. Everywhere I went, I found myself asking people, "If you could have any magical power, what would it be?" I found that invisibility and the power to fly were two of the most common.
10. And, what would a book be without some bad guys. Chase is shocked to find out his family has a powerful and evil enemy that is out to destroy the Tinkers and steal their house and the source of all their magic: an incredibly powerful Relic in the attic. Now he, along with Persephone, his brother Andy and his cousin Janie must find a way to stop these evil beings before they become too powerful to defeat.
Thanks for stopping by, Malia!
In Chase Tinker's world, magic, lies and secrets can be a lethal combination...
Chase Tinker has the power to move things with his mind. His brother Andy can stop time. The thing is, they have no idea where these crazy abilities could've possible come from, and, are totally clueless on how to control them. Chase wants desperately to talk to his dad about it, but Benjamin Tinker has disappeared without a word.
It's a huge shock to Chase and Andy when one day a grandfather they thought to be long dead arrives at their door. He invites them to come spend the summer with him and their cousin Janie on a remote island in an out-of-this-world house where fantastic magic can be found in practically every room, stairway and corridor. Chase can't believe his dad has been lying and keeping so many important things from his sons.
Not long after the boys' arrival at Grandfather's house, their aunt, who has been on a mission to find their missing dad, turns up, hurt, sick—and alone. Now three of the biggest questions in their minds are: where in the world is their dad? And how will they find him? Or, is he...dead? It doesn't help matters when Chase's despicable cousin James arrives and turns everything upside down, even putting Chase's life in mortal danger.
As he spends more time in the house, Chase begins to realize that, not only has their dad been keeping things from them, but Grandfather seems to be keeping several secrets of his own and Chase is bound and determined to find out just what those secrets are.
Chase soon finds out that all their magic is controlled by a strange, incredibly powerful relic hidden in the attic, and if anything happens to this relic every bit of Tinker magic will be lost forever. And, if this isn't enough to worry about, the Tinkers are also facing a terrifying and powerful enemy that is determined to destroy the Tinkers and possess all their magic, their house and their Relic. Now Chase, along with Andy, Janie and their good friend Persephone, must find a way to stop these evil beings in order to save, not only themselves, but everyone else on the planet.
Author Links: Website
Malia is offering up one prize pack, which includes an ebook, an autographed bookmark with a picture of the book cover on it and a $5.00 Amazon gift card!
~ Must be 13 years or older!
~ Open Internationally!
To enter, just fill out the form below!