29.7.13

Review: Come What May by Faith Sullivan

Summary/Cover Image from Author's Website:
Adam is through with love.

He unravels blaming himself for what happened with Katie.

His final moments with her echo through his nightmares.

She owns him body and soul.

To dull the pain, Adam invites a string of women into his bed. Fueled by alcohol and desperation, his meaningless hook-ups provide little comfort. When he closes his eyes, it's Katie he sees.

The only one who helps to ease his guilt somewhat is Jada. But as his new ambulance partner, Adam considers her off limits. He doesn't want to get seriously involved with anyone, much less her. Yet he can't stop fantasizing about the feel of her caramel skin against his.

Despite his intentions, Adam's bond with Jada deepens as they respond to a series of emotional calls. Their mutual attraction becomes undeniable. But how can he give his heart to Jada when it still belongs to Katie?
Review: 

After reading Faith Sullivan's Heartbeat, the prequel to Come What May, and being completely flabbergasted by its conclusion, I couldn't wait to see what happened next to Adam and Katie. There were so many unanswered questions that I needed answered! Therefore, when Come What May finally ended up in my possession the other day, I jumped right in. Luckily, Come What May completely surpassed my sequel expectations, because not only did it introduce a enjoyable, heartfelt story that stood on its own, but it also took this story to new places with new people I couldn't have possibly imagined nor expected.

Come What May continues a couple of months after Heartbeat ended. Adam is still dealing with the pain of loosing Katie as well as the weirdness that has come into his life because of it. He dreams of her every night, and the dreams always end the same way her life did....with her saying his name. Feeling such a strong connection to a dead girl is something he wasn't prepared for, and because of it, he quickly falls into dangerous patters: drinking, fighting, and one night stands with girls he barley knows. However, when Jada enters his life, everything begins to change. Jada has had her own demons, and she's not about to let Adam fall to his. Will Jada be able to save him before it's too late? Or will something stand in their way? Only time and more pages can tell in this heartfelt and suspenseful read.

One of the aspects I enjoyed most about Hearbeat was the characters and that rang true for this one as well. Jada, the new addition to the series, was probably my favorite. Sassy and full of life, Jada truly managed to make the story even better with her POVs as well as her friendship with Adam. One aspect I admired the most about her, though, was how she didn't let her past get her down. Instead, she managed to kept it bay while also helping others. The way she was with Adam was adorable, and I was continually rooting for them to end up together (even though I still wanted to the Katie angle to work, but I'll talk about that later!). Talking about Adam, he was a LOT different in this book. Gone was the sweet yet somewhat sullen boy that he once was, because in his place was the new Adam: equal parts anger, muscle, and sadness. I couldn't believe some of the choices he made in this, because not only did it made me miss the old Adam, but I also couldn't believe how much he was letting his life fall apart. However, it was all part of the journey, as you'll see if you give this one a try! The side characters in this one were also a ton of fun! I loved seeing more of Charlie and the other EMTs plus Jada's roommates added some laughs as well.

The story line in Come What May managed to always have me on the edge of my seat. I loved seeing the alternative to what happened in Heartbeat. Sometimes it was just insane to see just how one little thing could change everything, and that rang true in not just Katie's death but in other instances as well. The aspect I enjoyed most about this book, though, was seeing Jada and Adam's relationship bloom. It kept the plot moving at a fun speed. Plus they were just adorable together. However, at the same time, I felt like I was betraying Katie by liking Adam and Jada together so much.

Faith's writing was also great in this! She did a great job of switching between Adam and Jada's POVs. And the ending in this one? Absolutely, pure evilness! But I'm starting to expect that from Faith.

In all, Come What May was a great continuation to the story and world Faith introduced in Heartbeat. I simply can't wait to read book #3!

Grade: B+

Come What May (Amazon, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Kindle Freebie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com