19.2.18

Review: Haven by Mary Lindsey


Synopsis/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:
Rain Ryland has never belonged anywhere. He’s used to people judging him for his rough background, his intimidating size, and now, his orphan status. He’s always been on the outside, looking in, and he’s fine with that. Until he moves to New Wurzburg and meets Friederike Burkhart.

Freddie isn’t like normal teen girls, though. And someone wants her dead for it. Freddie warns he’d better stay far away if he wants to stay alive, but Rain’s never been good at running from trouble. For the first time, Rain has something worth fighting for, worth living for. Worth dying for.
Review: 

For the past few months I've been hearing non-stop good things about Mary Lindsey's Haven, and even though I had a copy I was hesitant to start it. I was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as everyone else.

As it turns out, I shouldn't have had a worry in the world, because Haven is AMAZING! Seriously, I should've listened to the everyone and read it sooner! 

Haven is told through Rain's POV. I tend to have a love-hate relationship with male POVs; however, in this situation I really enjoyed it. I thought Mary did a fantastic job of capturing the voice of a teenage boy. It seemed realistic as well as authentic. 

It also didn't hurt that I loved Rain from the moment he was introduced. Rain is confident as well as tough and maybe just a tad bit arrogant. He's never had the easiest life; however, with Aunt Ruby he's been given a second chance, one he hopes he won't screw up. His relationship with Aunt Ruby warmed my heart. They had such a natural, easy-going aunt-nephew relationship, and I loved seeing them form their own makeshift family. Additionally, I loved Rain but I think I loved Freddie even more. Freddie is 100% her own person - she does want she wants, says what she wants, and doesn't worry about the consequences. Her sarcastic tone won me over. I especially loved how FINALLY we have the girl calling the boy a ridiculous nickname. In this case, she called Rain "sprinkles" and it made me laugh every single time. I liked the variety of other side characters introduced as well. Also just throwing this out there: I would do almost anything for a book about Petra. I feel like she has a lot of good stories to tell. 

Haven contains one of my favorite things: a mysterious small town. Mary did such a great job of setting the scene. I found it easy to picture New Wurzburg. I also liked how it was a town with a lot of secrets. Everyone seemed like they had something to hide. Additionally, the town itself gave a creepy feel. I was constantly on the edge of my seat, dying to know what was lurking in the shadows. 

The plot in Haven is fast-paced and twisty. I especially enjoyed the supernatural edge to it. I won't say what supernatural beings are involved; however, I will say that their world is incredibly well developed. Additionally, I liked how nicely everything came together. There were so many times at which I chalked up a weird event to be nothing, but later on I realized it was essential to what was happening. It blew my mind time and time again and kept me coming back for more. There were so many times at which Mary completely threw me for a loop. 

Last but not least: the romance. Freddie and Rain had such great chemistry. I loved how they pushed and pulled at each other's buttons, especially at the beginning. Rain was determined to win Freddie over. There was also no insta-love feel to it, which is always a major win in my opinion. 

Reminiscent of Beautiful Creatures, Mary Lindsay's Haven weaves together an enthralling supernatural mystery. I can't wait to see what Havoc (book #2) brings! 

4.5 stars!!
Haven is now out!

Source: Hardcover provided by publisher for review - thanks EntangledTeen!


Buy Links: 


Author Links: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com