8.9.10

Secrets of the Cicada Summer by Andrea Beaty

Summary/Cover Image from Publisher's Website:

Lily has read every Nancy Drew book in the library. She’s great at spying clues and keeping secrets. She has to be. She has secrets of her own that no one can ever find out.

When summer brings lying, stealing Tinny Bridges to town, Lily must depend on her own wits to keep ahead of this sly newcomer. Tinny takes candy from the general store and blames Lily. She tries to steal Lily’s friends and even her father’s affection. Worst of all, she seems to know Lily’s secret. When Tinny goes missing, only Lily has an idea what happened to her. But for Lily, finding Tinny means confronting her hidden past.
 
Review:

Even though I really enjoyed Andrea's previous (and hilarious!) middle-grade book, The Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies, I was a bit hesitant to begin this when I first received it in the mail for review. Thankfully, Secrets of the Cicada Summer proved to be one of my favorite middle-grade books of the year so far thanks to Andrea's rich and lyrical writing and the mysterious, Nancy Drew like plot she provided right along with it.

In Secrets of Cicada Summer, Lilly's expecting another quiet and smothering summer just like the school year she just had- that is until Tinny Bridges arrives in her town. Tinny is everything Lilly isn't anymore. She's mischievous, talkative, and the center of everyone's attention. And Lilly probably would like Tinny if Tinny wasn't this close to finding out the secret to why Lilly hasn't talked since her brother's fatal accident. But when Tinny leaves without a trace, will Lilly give up her grudge and help find Tiny? Only time and pages will tell in this addicting, summery read from Ms. Beaty!

Lilly was an interesting character and one I could never really read until the end of the story. Throughout the book I was constantly wondering why she didn't talk anymore and every time something new would be added to that long reason why, I was just a wee bit surprised. Also, I really liked the fact that she was a mystery book lover. Because how can one book lover not like and root for another one? Tinny was interesting as well, and was one complicated mess for a six grader, and while I did find her behavior to be a little annoying at times, I also rooted for her to get everything together in the end. Plus, I really enjoyed reading about the rest of the residents in Lilly's town, because each one provided to have their own unique personality that made them jump of the page.

The plot of this was fun, exciting, and fast paced, and while the mystery was a little predictable at times, I still enjoyed the overall story regardless of that fact. Lastly, I have to say I really enjoyed Beaty's writing in this one and was impressed on how easily she caught the voice of a six grader.

In all, Secrets of the Cicada Summer is a darling read that I can't help but suggest to middle scholars but everyone else as well, because this truly is a fantastic story!

Grade: B+

Secrets of the Cicada Summer is now out!

Source: Publisher. Thanks, Amulet!

1 comment:

  1. New follower here!
    This book looks interesting, and I've enjoyed your review! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com