23.7.11

Interview with Melissa Walker, author of Small Town Sinners!

You might remember that I reviewed the amazing Small Town Sinners a couple of weeks ago. Well, not only was it released this past Tuesday, but I also had the chance to ask Melissa Walker, the person behind it, some questions. So without a further ado...

In your opinion, what are the top three reasons why teens (or even adults) should pick up Small Town Sinners the next time they see it in stores or online?

1. Isn't that cover great?
2. No matter how you feel about the book's content, I promise it'll make you think and ask questions.
3. Ty is dreamy and Dean & Starla Joy are amazing BFFs -- you'll want to get to know them. At least that's how I feel.

Small Town Sinners tells the story of Lacey so would you mind sharing a little about her? Also, if you could give her any advice, what would you say?

Lacey has grown up in a very sheltered world, and she's never questioned what she's been taught. When I first started writing about her, I wanted her to stop seeing things in such black and white terms. I wanted to make her world more gray. So I guess my advice to her is to start asking questions, and don't ever stop.

One of the parts of Small Town Sinners that stuck out the most, in my opinion, was Hell House and the different feelings and reactions it conjured in the characters. Therefore, what was the inspiration behind including this in the book?

I went to a real Hell House and interviewed the teenagers acting in it for a magazine story, so I had some real-life inspirations for these characters. When I left that small town after just a weekend there, those teens I interviewed stayed with me. I still wonder where they are and if their beliefs have shifted at all. Here's that original article: http://www.melissacwalker.com/media/ellegirl-hellhouse.jpg

Besides Lacey, who was your favorite character to write about in Small Town Sinners? Why?

I loved writing about Tessa, Starla Joy's older sister. I could feel her radiance whenever I saw her in a scene, and that was really fun to "be around."

I absolute adore the title of Small Town Sinners. How did it come to be? Was it always the title or did it arrive later on in the process?

I originally was calling the book Hell House, but no one liked that too much (I did!). My agent and I brainstormed some ideas, and I think I came up with "Sins of a Small Town" and he said, "Ooh, what about Small Town Sinners?" And it just fit!

What is up next for you book wise?

My next book will be a love story called Unbreak My Heart, coming in summer 2012 from Bloomsbury! (I can't say more right now, but I will tell you that its working title was "The Boat Book").

THANKS!

~~~

Thanks for stopping by Melissa! Unbreak My Heart sounds fabulous!

To find out more about Melissa and her books, check out her website, twitter, facebook fan page! 

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I have SMALL TOWN SINNERS sitting on my table.. Might get to it sooner than I thought I would. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com