4.9.09

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Summary:

In an explosion of his own making, Lucius blew his arms off. Now he has hooks. He chose hooks because they were cheaper. He chose hooks because he wouldn’t outgrow them so quickly. He chose hooks so that everyone would know he was different, so he would scare even himself.

Then he meets Aurora. The hooks don’t scare her. They don’t keep her away. In fact, they don’t make any difference at all to her.

But to Lucius, they mean everything. They remind him of the beast he is inside. Perhaps Aurora is his Beauty, destined to set his soul free from its suffering.

Or maybe she’s just a girl who needs love just like he does.


Review:

Crazy Beautiful is a romance at it's heart, one that focus on a modern retelling of Beauty and The Beast.

Going into this I was excepting something else, I'm not sure what per say, maybe something darker or more sinister. But don't get me wrong, I highly enjoyed reading Crazy Beautiful.

The two main characters were developed in a way that you could understand who they where and what they wanted. Though, they didn't really jump of the page. Aurora was the typical shy but stunningly beautiful girl who tends to speak her mind, while Lucius had a more dark existence, one that made you wonder if you should trust him or not. It was interesting to see how they and their feelings mixed together with Lauren having a switching first person narrative for them.

The plot was fast paced because of the short number of pages and the quick switching, as mentioned above. The story starts out a little slow, but quickly builds suspense and tension as the page number go up. Also, I liked the ending a ton, because it leaves off at such a good breaking point, one that most anyone will like.

Overall, Crazy Beautiful is a cutesy romance with a message of accepting who you are and living with it to your best potential. I look forward to reading by Ms. Baratz-Logsted.

Grade: B

Crazy Beautiful hits shelves on September 29, 2009, though Amazon is shipping it early.

* Much thanks goes to Lauren as well as Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group for sending me a copy of this!

32 comments:

  1. I am really excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was expecting something a little more sinister maybe because of the summary and the cover of the book. But overall it was cute.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Cutesy is not a word I would've expected from the synopsis. Glad to know that ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really a lot about this book but I'm really into fairy tale retellings. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A unique plot! I'd love to read this book.
    wandanamgreb (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks sooo good! I can't wait to read it.

    shutupimreading.blogspot.com
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. When I hear Crazy Beautiful, I think of the old movie with Kirsten Dunst and ... some guy whose name I can't remember. But this is ntohing like that at all ... Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I can't wait to read this book.

    -Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good. Thanks for the review! I'm really looking forward to reading this(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crazy Beautiful is awesome! Loving it so far! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Review! I am really into fairytale rewrites right now just reading Beastly right now... this will have to be next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great review!!! I used to watch Beauty and the Beast all the time, so I am excited to read a modern version!!!

    Jordan
    jmoose09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like it's very different from anything else out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. something different definitely

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to this one so much! I love any fairy tale retellings, especially if they're a little twisted. And the cover! I'll be the first to admit that I'm incredibly susceptible to beautiful covers. So basically, I MUST have this book, and your review just whetted my appetite that much more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds really intriguing I'll have to check it out! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm very curious about this book. Thanks for your review. You were very clear in what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I definitely want to read this one, plus the cover is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book is on my wishlist. I'm dying to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The title on this book kinda turned me off, but when I read your review and realized what it was about, well...I'm fascinated! I'm definitely looking forward to reading this, now!

    Thanks for correcting my misplaced assumptions :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. I guess I shouldn't have "judged a book by its cover". I guess I assumed that it would be a light romance or somthin. You certainly caught my intrest. I’m now dying to drive out to my library and see if they have a copy (Oh the woes of a broke teenager!!!). lol.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait until this book comes out. I've been wanting to read it for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hey there lauren! I LOVED your review for this book!!!!! From what you wrote in your review i think that this book is soooo cute!I really hope I win because this is sooo the kind of book that i LOVE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This book looks SO good! Awesome Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice review, I'm going to have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Most Beauty and the Beast retellings seem to be fantasy, but Crazy Beautiful isn't. Now I'm curious, even if it's a short book with a lack in character development.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This books sounds amazing! The cover is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com