29.3.10

When Mike Kissed Emma by Christine Marciniak

Summary from Amazon:

Emma Landon has a plan: she's going to be in the high school musical and sing the most romantic song possible to her boyfriend. She's not looking for the lead, just a decent part where she and Trevor can dance together on stage. The plan starts to unravel when she gets the starring role, and playing opposite her is not her perfect boyfriend, but the school loner, Biker Mike. When Mike kisses Emma at the school dance, everything changes. Emma must figure out what is more important-the way things look or something deeper.

Review:

After reading The Stillburrow Crush by Linda Kage, I was excited to read more books published by The Wild Rose Press. Lucky for me, When Mike Kissed Emma (also published by The Wild Rose Press) was exactly what I was excepting. What was that per say? Well a cutesy type romantic comedy that was easy to get lost in, and yet another great book published by this fab publisher!

Emma is a girl who is quite frankly lost and confused on what to do. Since while she has a perfect boyfriend named Trevor, she's also feeling some unexpected feelings for the class loner and the guy opposite to her in the school play named Mike, leaving tensions to run high as practices go on.

Emma was a character that I liked instantly even if she did make some dumb choices sometimes. Since I found her to be easy to relate to (Since who hasn't felt something for someone they shouldn't or faced friend drama?) and a character who was charming and fun to read about. Mike was also one of my favorite characters since like Emma he was an easy-going. Though, I would have loved to seen some more back-story about him. Emma's other friends, on the other hand, with the exception of Caitlyn and Sami were some of the most annoying and self-centered characters I've read about in a while. At first, I found them to be bearable, but as the book went on all I wanted to do was knock some sense into them. I mean not only were they overly malicious to Emma about different aspects of her life, but they constantly scrutinized and judged Mike in a way that was just plain old rude.

As mentioned above the plot was fun and fast paced leaving me to be constantly turning the pages, curious to see what would happen next. Also I loved how Christine worked The Sound of Music into the book. Since while I'm not a huge fan of the movie or play, I still found the parts of the book that featured the characters putting on the play fun to read about. And let me tell you, the ending of this novel was adorable!

Even with the faults the secondary characters had, I still really enjoyed When Mike Kissed Emma, and I'm excited to see what Ms. Marciniak comes up next!

Grade: B+

When Mike Kissed Emma is now out!

Source: Around The World Tour

4 comments:

  1. It's really the quiet guys that draw the main character in. I wonder about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not so sure about this book.. until now. I'll have to read it after your great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this would make a great quick read. I will check it out. Nice review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I'm so glad you enjoyed When Mike Kissed Emma. And I agree with you that her friends were a bit annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com