24.1.13

Review: Exposure (Twisted Lit #2) by Kim Askew and Amy Helmes

Summary/Cover Image from Goodreads:
Double, double, toil and trouble. Sometimes, the quest for high school royalty can be deadly! In this emotionally-charged twist on Shakespeare’s Macbeth, a self-conscious shutterbug named Skye Kingston navigates a treacherous school year in Alaska fraught with unspoken secrets and tragic twists of fate. Along the way she encounters three strangely prophetic BFFs; one social-climbing, sociopathic cheerleader; and a heart-stopping hottie named Craig McKenzie: the man who would be Prom King. Can Skye save the boy she loves — and herself — before they get caught in the crosshairs?
Review:

After reading the witty and enchanting Tempestuous, the first in Kim and Amy's Twisted Lit series, I was beyond excited to read Exposure.Thankfully, Exposure turned out to be a great follow-up novel, and while I didn't like it as much as Tempestuous, it still provided what I tend to look for a in a good contemp: fun characters, a little romance, and a tad bit of mystery.

Exposure starts up the story of Skye, an Alaskan native who has always fallen under the radar at school. However, she prefers it that way. It gives her more time to do what she loves best: taking photos for the school newspaper. However, she's always wished for something more at the same time... specifically that her best guy friend Craig would dump his girlfriend for her. Everything changes, though, after a tragic accident occurs one evening, and at the center of it? Craig....Suddenly, Skye's in between a rock and a hard place.

From the first page, I really liked Skye. Sure, she was a bit bratty and self-centered when it came to certain parts of her life, but she was entertaining, especially when it came to her involvement with the various kids at her school. I also enjoyed finding out more about Skye's interest in photography. It was especially interesting to see how Kim and Amy brought it together with everything in the end. Craig, on the other hand, I wasn't a big fan of. Don't get me wrong, he was okay, but I didn't like how he continually put Sky behind everything else. It made him out to be not that nice of a guy. The character's I loved most in this, though, where Skye's various friends she made throughout the book to her newspaper cohorts to the school's team of true Alaskan natives.

The plot in this was interesting, and it kept me turning the pages. The mystery behind what happened at the party as well as between Craig and his girlfriend was perfectly paced. I was always trying to figure out what was going on as well as thinking of the possible answers to all the questions. I thought Kim and Amy also managed to pull of the Alaskan setting quite well. It added a dark and gloomy feel to the book, making everything a bit more suspenseful, in my opinion.

The writing was also decent. I thought they did a great job of creating the characters and plot lines. However, I will admit that I wasn't that found of the melodramatic turn it took towards the end. It was just a little too soap opera-ish for me. I did LOVE the epilogue though.

In all, Exposure is another fast paced and fun read, perfect for fans of Meg Cabot.

Grade: B

Exposure (Amazon, BN, Goodreads) is now out!

Source: Publicist 

2 comments:

  1. I was sad that this didn't have as much comedy as Tempestuous (although I knew it was based on Macbeth so I'm not sure what I was expecting). Can't wait for more in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books sound like a ton of fun! I still think I'll be checking out Tempestuous first since you seemed to enjoy that one more. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so never be afraid to leave one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.CreateTheCut.com