|click on banner to see all tour stops!|
Today, I'm happy to welcome Julianna Scott, author of The Holders, to Lauren's Crammed Bookshelf. She was nice enough to answer some of my questions, so without a further ado...
Kick butt heroine, Irish mythology, and kissing. (If you're in to that sort of thing.)
2) I'm, for one, into that kinda thing, and I'm sure a lot of others are too! :) The Holders tells the story of Becca, so would you mind sharing a little about her? Also, if you could offer her any advice what would you say?
She is stubborn, protective, caring, and maybe a little hot-headed. She means well, and would do anything for the people she loves, but can sometimes let her anger and mistrust guide her actions. The best advice for her would be to take a breath and learn to trust people.
3) Awesome advice! I think everyone needs to follow that one sometimes. Do you have a favorite scene or line from the book? If so, would you mind sharing a little about it with us?
I do. It involves a test, a revelation, and some kissing, but to avoid spoilers, that all I can tell you at the moment. :-)
4) Ooh, can't wait to look out for that one when I read The Holders! One of the things that first drew me to The Holders was the gorgeous cover, so what were your thoughts the first time you saw it?
I loved that it was different. I haven't seen anything like it recently, and I don't know about you, but I am getting a little tired of girls in dresses. Sure they are pretty, but the YA sections of most book stores are starting to look like a rack in a prom store. I was happy that The Holders would take a different approach.
5) I always love a good dress; however, I agree it is getting a little tiresome. What’s been your favorite part about being an “official” author so far? Least?
Honestly, I don't feel all that official yet, it is still too surreal. However, I can tell you that the worst part is expectations. Now that there are other people out there (that I don't know) who have read and liked The Holders and are expecting the second book in the series, I can 't help but stress over making it 'good enough'. One of my biggest fears is letting people down, so the pressure is definitely worse this time around.
6) I can't even imagine what's that like, but I'm sure you don't have to worry that much! :) What’s up next for you book wise?
I am finishing up the second Holders book, then there are two more unrelated YA projects waiting in the wings.
Thanks so much for stopping by, Julianna!
17-year-old Becca has spent her whole life protecting her brother - from their father leaving and from the people who say the voices in his head are unnatural. When two strangers appear with apparent answers to Ryland's "problem" and details about a school in Ireland where Ryland will not only fit in, but prosper, Becca is up in arms.
She reluctantly agrees to join Ryland on his journey and what they find at St. Brigid's is a world beyond their imagination. Little by little they piece together information about their family's heritage and the legend of the Holder race that decrees Ryland is the one they've been waiting for. However things are not as clear as they once were, and everyone is in for a surprise that will forever change what they thought they knew about themselves and their kind.
Julianna was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and spent the majority of her educational career convinced she would be a musician. However, after receiving her music degree from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, she realized that she'd been born in the wrong era for her dreams of singing jazz to adoring fans clad in zoot-suits and flapper dresses to come true, and began to wonder if her true calling might be elsewhere.
While Julianna had always excelled in writing throughout school, she'd never considered it a career possibility until about three years ago, when she'd gotten her first story idea and decided to go for it. She grabbed her laptop, started typing away, and has never looked back.
Julianna Scott Author Page * The Holders Series Page * Julianna Scott on Goodreads * The Holders on Goodreads * Twitter * The Holders Facebook Page * Pinterest * Amazon * Barnes and Noble
And be sure to keep an eye out for my review of The Holders which should be up within the next week or two!